Sign in to follow this  
Lawrence_Coldbath

Ticket taking

I've got a question about tickets! Were Fair tickets collected at the gates? Or were they stamped/ punched in some way? Could people take their tickets home from the Fair or are all the ones that still exist in collections just unused? Most I've seen on sale have been from books of tickets that haven't been finished. 

Tickets were collected, and I believe were later counted to keep things honest. The tickets out there were ones people bought and never used (silly of them!) or unsold stock dumped after the Fair ended.

I don't have any memory of even seeing a ticket the several times we entered the Fair.  My father simply paid the fee and pointed out two of us were kids.

Concerning Expo 67 in Montreal:  We did not have the week, or month, or entire season books.  We bought one day tickets at the Oratory gift shop.  They were $2.25 each.  At the gate they cost $2.50 per day.  It was about 3 inches by 2 inches with printing on the front and back along with the "Man and His World" symbol on it.  The entire ticket was taken from us when we entered.  When we were leaving we could have our hand stamped and return that same day at no charge.  Anyway that is how I remember it - over 50 years ago!  Hope that helps some.

14 hours ago, Jim said:

I don't have any memory of even seeing a ticket the several times we entered the Fair.  My father simply paid the fee and pointed out two of us were kids.

You had to buy a ticket - either before you got to the Fair or at a ticket booth - then hand it over at the turnstile.