Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

The Astral Fountain and the New York State Pavilion

Wow!  Water jets visible, blimp overhead, towers full of people, just a jaw-dropper. 

It's so sharp - Kodachrome slide?

1 hour ago, waynebretl said:

Wow!  Water jets visible, blimp overhead, towers full of people, just a jaw-dropper. 

It's so sharp - Kodachrome slide?

Yes. It was really poorly exposed but cleaned up nicely. 

35 minutes ago, expoboy said:

It's a shame the "birdcage" wasn't kept.

This is one of the few day shots where  you can see that the stars are white. Usually it's against a bright background that makes it look like a black framework that belongs in an industrial site like an oil refinery, IMO. Yes, just my opinion, but it's my least favorite in the daytime. To me it was much better at night, except for the few day shots like this that let you really see the white.  I wonder what it would have looked like if they did the Kodak tower trick and used daytime floodlights to make it brighter?

2 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

Yes. It was really poorly exposed but cleaned up nicely. 

Over or under? It's hard to tell anything was wrong after you did your magic.

4 hours ago, waynebretl said:

This is one of the few day shots where  you can see that the stars are white. Usually it's against a bright background that makes it look like a black framework that belongs in an industrial site like an oil refinery, IMO. Yes, just my opinion, but it's my least favorite in the daytime. To me it was much better at night, except for the few day shots like this that let you really see the white.  I wonder what it would have looked like if they did the Kodak tower trick and used daytime floodlights to make it brighter?

I agree - I think the Astral Fountain looks heavy and industrial in most shots.  Maybe it looked better in person.

I would bet that if the fountain had been retained intact, it really would be just a bird cage today--a neglected space for crows and pigeons.  Not that these birds don't deserve a decent perch but I suspect that wasn't the designer's plan.

9 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

Way under, Wayne.

Well, with that clue I can see the shadows in the trees are blocked up, but I just attributed it to the usual Kodachrome high contrast. Super recovery there, Bill.

I scanned this around 5 years ago and had it in my "Nice subject but lousy slide, so someday later" pile. I finally decided to give it a go. It's amazing what can be pulled out of some. Not all work, though. I was trying one of the Transportation Area from the NYSP and simply couldn't salvage it, so it stays in the pile for another day. There's always another to take its place.

7 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

I scanned this around 5 years ago and had it in my "Nice subject but lousy slide, so someday later" pile. I finally decided to give it a go. It's amazing what can be pulled out of some. Not all work, though. I was trying one of the Transportation Area from the NYSP and simply couldn't salvage it, so it stays in the pile for another day. There's always another to take its place.

Or a better scanner to be bought.

Sadly there are very few scanners out there these days, and few that would beat the Nikon Coolscan - at least not any in the budget I have, which is less than the price of a new car. There are some Hasselblads and other s but $$$$.