sunguar

Need Help From Former and Current PTU Members

I've read all the posts listed under General Discussion (some 17,166 posts) under that heading and many, many more in other topics concerning the 1964-1965 World's Fair.  Going back some 18 years (some pre-911) it provides a fascinating history of discoveries and events concerning the Fair.  (Confession: I actually had to ask an older member what PTU actually meant.  I should have been able to guess but---)  

Some of the posts are actually voices from people who are no longer with us, and I missed out on not being able to actually post on their topics of choice.    

Some are sadly missed.  I wish I got to meet Ray Dasher (with his flag raising and days in the park on his Segway) and AMFMonorail (Randy Lambertus).

So my question is this----What happened to some of the most prolific and knowledgeable posters here?

So in no apparent order (except maybe contributions):

Hoodlock (Bruce)

ParkBench

Rose

YaddaYadda

Mike Kraus

Ken Thalheimer

Marc Williams

JMCSweeny

RayinPasa

Elizabeth Klug

Mary Ellen

(I know at some point Bill Young changed his forum name to nywf64.com)

Thanks in advance to everyone who can help.

A good question. Some seemed to have drifted away from the Fair scene, and some others pop up now and then on Facebook.

I believe RayinPasa was also Ray Dashner.

Marc Williams, who founded this board, is busy with work and a host of other things.

Wish I knew more about why the others are gone. Maybe I'll drop them a note and ask when I get done with a project I'm buried with at the moment.

• Like 1

Hi suguar!  I have a feeling a number of us have become "lurkers" more so than "posters."  In my case, I still watch "the board" but just don't post often unless I have something to advertise that's new at nywf64.com  The names you mention go "way back" to the early days when "PTU" as it was called then was a part of nywf64.com.  "Way back" is going on 19 years ago!  It's hard to believe that this bulletin board in one form or another has been around for that long!  Some of the names you've mentioned I've lost track of as well.  Others, like Mike Kraus, Liz Klug and Ken Thalheimer, Mary Ellen Coughlan, John McSweeny still have an interest in the Fair but just don't post here often any more.  Interests change over 19 years too.  

I also think that part of the reason why you don't see some of the older names posting any more is that the "newness" of it might have worn off for some of them.  You have to realize that 19 years ago, discovering that there were actually other people "out there" who share this interest was a big thing to us.  All those years ago there just wasn't that much online that you could explore about the 1964/1965 New York World's Fair or other Fairs.  Now, search Google for "1964 York Fair" and you will come up with a myriad of links to places to visit on the web that have a connection to the Fairs, be it UTube or any number of places where folks have posted their photos and memories.  In 2000, PTU was actually a bit like a social club where people with a fascination for World's Fairs could "hang-out."  It's still that way today but maybe just not as shiny and new as it was nearly two decades ago.

• Like 2

Good point. I'm like lots of others who haven't abandoned the Forums, but only post when the spirit moves me. Nevertheless, it is always exciting to see new photos like those collected by Bill Cotter and shared with the community. 

Thanks, people.

I realize that interests change from time to time, but for someone to have such a vast knowledge of the Fair, and to be so involved in a community, and then, well, abandon it, puzzles me.

One example, Hoodlock, who has something like 2336 posts, and who had a "What Happened This Week at the Fair" and a fascinating  "Quiz of the Week" started posting in 2000 and stopped in 2015.  

I suppose it's my seeing "Coco" and the time being near the "Day of the Dead" that makes me wonder, and hope these names are never forgotten.  

I think Mr. Young nailed it mostly on the head. But I think there's another reason a lot of people have drifted away from the PTU/WFC site. And that's Facebook. When this amazing board first started-- Facebook, not to mention all other forms of social media-- quite simply didn't exist. This was literally one of the only online repositories of information related to World's Fairs and Expos-- and probably the most exhaustive, at that. But once Facebook came along-- and specifically, its various fan and special interest pages began to blossom-- I suspect it drove a lot of traffic away from us here. Nevertheless, I still don't think there's a better one-stop shop than the World's Fair Community for virtually any fair you can think of-- from 1851 to 2025-- and I am deeply proud to be one of its Admins. This site has directly inspired my professional work (CSI:NYPPIE) and brought me a great deal of personal joy for many years.

• Like 1

Yes, Facebook is a big factor for sure. I want to keep this site going, though, as I feel the quality of posts is better. It's also easier to find older information at least for me.

• Like 1

I recently joined or re-discovered a couple of the Facebook groups regarding the Fair so it was interesting to me to read the comments about Facebook.  I was surprised to see how little has been posted on the Facebook groups in the past few years.  On the other hand, this bulletin board is alive with continuous postings from people with an interest.  I don't think a day goes by that I check here that I don't see and read something new.  So LONG LIVE the World's Fair Community!  In this day and age of Facebook, it is still THE PLACE to go for people who share a love of World's Fairs!  You all make this a great place to visit.

• Like 4

Facebook makes it hard to find anything more than a few days old.  Never mind that they're continually tweaking what you see at all. 

I'd much rather visit a few different blogs and boards like this every day than trust Facebook for things I'm interested in.

• Like 2

Good times and bum times, I've seen them all and, Sunguar, I'm still here.....since September 10, 2000!
Edited by Craig Bavaro
  • Like 2

I was lucky enough to attend the  64 fair dozens of times as a teen. I joined this website in 2004 and have been here mostly in the backround ever since.

• Like 1

Craig, you crack me up!  I've always thought that if we could just live our lives like we were in a musical, the world would be a lot better off (except if the musical is "Sweeney Todd" maybe).  I guess you're living proof!

"I'm Still Here" too at PTU and love that song from Follies.

Glad to here from all of you.  This place is much more interesting than Facebook, and easier to navigate too.

Nice to hear from you Craig, although I hadn't considered you one of the "MIA" who just vanished.

I just wish I had discovered this board like many of you in 2000.  Now it seems all the SIPs are long gone, never to be repeated.

I so agree Bill Young.

I know Sunguar. I'm just being a smart aleck.

A springtime SiP...now that does sound like a great idea Bill Cotter.

• Like 1

Bill, simple question.  Why LA?  (I'm sure LA doesn't stand for Lake Amusements)

6 hours ago, sunguar said:

Bill, simple question.  Why LA?  (I'm sure LA doesn't stand for Lake Amusements)

LA = Los Angeles = where I live

:)

But again I ask, why LA? 

Well, it's a lot easier for me to invite people to my house here in LA than it would be for me to invite them to someone else's house like yours.

• Like 1