Sign in to follow this  
waynebretl

Suppose we did get a time machine...

I wonder how hard it would be to get together enough cash or other form of payment today that wouldn't cause you to get arrested when you tried to spend it back then.

I would buy as many original 1936-1942 Proof sets as possible with an eye for frost - there has to be some Cameo Walking Lib 50C out there. Earlier Proof singles like Cameo Proof Barber or Seated material would be next and the rest in silver - halves in bulk at face. Oh, and gold. :)

Early copper cents in high grade might also be a good thing!

2 hours ago, magikbilly said:

I would buy as many original 1936-1942 Proof sets as possible with an eye for frost - there has to be some Cameo Walking Lib 50C out there. Earlier Proof singles like Cameo Proof Barber or Seated material would be next and the rest in silver - halves in bulk at face. Oh, and gold. :)

Early copper cents in high grade might also be a good thing!

Hey fellow numismatist.  What I wouldn't give for a 1936 deep mirror cameo proof set!!!!!!

th.jpeg

Hello Expoboy,

I am not so sure there is one!  I have not seen a true Cameo, full frosted sun, on any Walker! Let alone DCam. In 1936 there was difficulty in even getting the finish brilliant. I am sure there are some in the registry but I have not been there since I had the top set of Type Dimes, and that was a very long time ago! I don't even have any scans saved. All I could find was this Pr 63 1906 Dr. Benson 10C I used to own. I bought it with the first photo shown, but B4 that I went and found online a Goldberg photo from back in the day and it was concentric colors city so I picked it up. It was just the same in hand as shown in the second photo. It was Goldberg's originally. This one was not wiped by the good Dr.  Low mintage - 675. When I had it and the set there were 35 known and graded. Now? I have no idea. I bought this date because it shot me up in the Registry - a game I would not bother with anymore. I'll try to find images of my 10C set. The 1941 Pr65 10C was also rainbow toned strongly,  and the Seated was deep purple as if from storage in leather. From the toning this Barber was in a cabinet. 

Do you collect Proof material Expoboy?

Eric

1906 Barber Pr 10C.jpg

8 minutes ago, magikbilly said:

Hello Expoboy,

I am not so sure there is one!  I have not seen a true Cameo, full frosted sun, on any Walker! Let alone DCam. In 1936 there was difficulty in even getting the finish brilliant. I am sure there are some in the registry but I have not been there since I had the top set of Type Dimes, and that was a very long time ago! I don't even have any scans saved. All I could find was this Pr 63 1906 Dr. Benson 10C I used to own. I bought it with the first photo shown, but B4 that I went and found online a Goldberg photo from back in the day and it was concentric colors city so I picked it up. It was just the same in hand as shown in the second photo. It was Goldberg's originally. This one was not wiped by the good Dr.  Low mintage - 675. When I had it and the set there were 35 known and graded. Now? I have no idea. I bought this date because it shot me up in the Registry - a game I would not bother with anymore. I'll try to find images of my 10C set. The 1941 Pr65 10C was also rainbow toned strongly,  and the Seated was deep purple as if from storage in leather. From the toning this Barber was in a cabinet. 

Do you collect Proof material Expoboy?

Eric

1906 Barber Pr 10C.jpg

I have some US proof sets that I've bought over the years starting with my birth year of 1952.  Also a few Canadian proof-like sets.  My specialty is classic commemorative silver.  As you probably know, a few matte proof specimens were struck by Mint Director John Sinnock for his personal collection and now fetch tens of thousands of dollars if and when they come up for auction.  You are right about cameo proof coins from the 1936-1968 period.  I think the intent was to produce uniformly mirrored proof coins and cameos were the rare exception.  Do you remember F.J. Vollmer, a dealer back in the 60s who specialized in cameo or "frosted" proof coins?  BTW, beautiful proof Barber dime you had.