Sign in to follow this  
worldsfairent

Victor Lundy's Space Flowers (AKA Brass Rail Inflatables)

Great article. I never heard Lundy's term "space flower," but if he had said it to me, I would have replied that it's more like a "space berry."

How do other people here compare these to the other fair architecture?

I have to say that I don't agree with the gushing architecture critic who thought the space flowers exceeded much of the other architecture at the fair. I don't know, maybe it's because I feel the repetitious use on so many snack bars destroyed some of the feeling of uniqueness, even though I never saw anything like it before or after. And maybe it's because they failed in a practical sense by showing dirt so badly.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't suggest any alternatives - they certainly had a unique association with the fair.

I thought they were innovative, and easy to spot anywhere on the grounds but (from the article):

"the small, floating structures garnered universal acclaim and became symbols of the fair's Space Age spirit."

I beg to differ.

Were the bubbled inflated individually, or were they a single giant chamber?

Were they inflated and sealed like a balloon, or was there a fan continuously inflating it like one of those inflatable Christmas lawn decorations?