On October 21, 1962, the closing day of Century 21, some of the crowd gets a look at the upcoming 1964-1965 New York World's Fair.

last-day-nywf.jpg

I assume they are looking at one of the traveling models?

And here the Unisphere logo looks like a giant atom.

That was the second logo the Fair used.  It was during the time that the Unisphere was supposed to have actual round objects circling the globe.  After the design was changed the logo changed to the one we all know and love.

See:  Evolution of the Unisphere as Theme Center / Evolution of the Fair's Logo at www.nywf64.com

I went to the '62 World's Fair in Seattle and I'm pretty sure we never got into the exhibition building that had the '64 World's Fair exhibit.  I think it was right behind the Space Needle.  My parents are lucky I didn't see it or they would have been pestered non-stop for two years to go to it!  To my great regret.

33 minutes ago, Bill Cotter said:

There was a slightly different look in 1961.

logo-art-61.jpg

I prefer the 1962 blue/orange version.

Interesting.  I've seen the other three designs, but I've never seen this one.  (The colors are awful)

I'm glad they changed it. 

There is a history of upcoming world's fairs presenting displays at existing fairs.  My 1901 Buffalo Pan American Exposition guide book indicates an exhibit for the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition in the Missouri Bbuilding and I clearly remember gazing at a model of Expo 70 in the Japan Pavilion at Expo 67.

Speaking of spheres, can someone tell me what this is?

unimess.jpg.fe5220cc79ad919b9038c88020581001.jpg

I realize it must have something to do with satellites orbits, but?  (I think the red one on the right is flying off to the moon)

Could you imagine if the Unisphere looked like this?

That red orbit going up to the right may be Telstar. What is the source of this image?

Edit: Such a strongly tilted path cannot be aimed at the moon. A moon shot trajectory would be at about 23 degrees to the equator at most.

Also, the Apollo 11 parking orbit had an inclinatin of 32.5 degrees, while the red path goes much farther south.