Sign in to follow this  
nywf64.com

Kodak Pavilion Model

I purchased a model of the Eastman Kodak Pavilion from the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair that was on eBay about a week ago.  The model is one of a number of models Kodak advertised as being available for display at high-visibility Kodak dealers during the run of the Fair.  I'm not sure how many were produced or still survive, but the last one of these that I saw go for sale was back in 2002 on eBay.  There may have been other models sold since ... not sure.

The model in 2002 went for $2700.  Thankfully, I got this model for much less (although I had to swallow hard a couple of times before I pressed the "Buy It Now" button).  The model was listed under "Cameras -- Other Equipment" on eBay.  Had the seller listed it under the 1964/1965 New York World's Fair category, he probably could have asked a lot more for it and would have gotten it. 

I've attached the photos from eBay that accompanied the auction.  The model is made of a type of resin and is painted grey.  The base is wood and painted grey and light blue.  There is a stamp on the bottom of the base that says DISPLAYMASTERS, INC. and it looks like they were out of New Jersey but it's difficult to read the address on the stamp.   The model is fairly heavy due to the wood base and the resin.  It is 23 1/2 inches long; 13 1/2 inches wide and about 6 inches tall.  The photos on the Picture Tower are still clear and bright ... the model must've been stored out of the light for quite a while.  There are some chips out of the picture frames and slight paint loss on parts of the resin but otherwise it is in remarkably good condition for its age.  I was scared to death that shipping would damage it somehow but it arrived in great shape with no damage thanks to the seller's excellent packing.  I purchased it from Pacific Rim Camera out of Salem, Oregon.

Thought the members here might like seeing the model.  It was so surprising to me to see that a GE Model came up for sale at auction at almost the same time.  And, NO, I'm not the lucky bidder on THAT model.  Rita was OK with my purchase of the Kodak model but I'm sure a divorce would have been in order if I had said, "Oh, by the way, I also spent $15K on a GE model." 

Bill

nywf64.com

Kodak Model Page at nywf64.com

kodak65.jpg

kodak64.jpg

kodak69.jpg

kodak70.jpg

kodak66.jpg

kodak67.jpg

kodak68.jpg

kodak71.jpg

Regarding DISPLAYMASTERS, INC., I found this online in reference to the company:

It appears the firm
began before 1949, but I can't be certain of that.  In 1966, the
company is listed as follows:

Displaymasters, Inc.
354 Undercliff Avenue
Edgewater, New Jersey 07020
(201) 943-4224
Employees:  20
Advertising Displays
SIC 3993
President: J.C. Roll

The same listing is carried in the 1967 and 1968 NJ Industrial
Directory.  There is no listing for the company in the 1956-57 NJ
Industrial Directory, but that should not be construed as an
indicator of existence.

20 minutes ago, nywf64.com said:

I purchased a model of the Eastman Kodak Pavilion from the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair that was on eBay about a week ago.  The model is one of a number of models Kodak advertised as being available for display at high-visibility Kodak dealers during the run of the Fair.  I'm not sure how many were produced or still survive, but the last one of these that I saw go for sale was back in 2002 on eBay.  There may have been other models sold since ... not sure.

The model in 2002 went for $2700.  Thankfully, I got this model for much less (although I had to swallow hard a couple of times before I pressed the "Buy It Now" button).  The model was listed under "Cameras -- Other Equipment" on eBay.  Had the seller listed it under the 1964/1965 New York World's Fair category, he probably could have asked a lot more for it and would have gotten it. 

I've attached the photos from eBay that accompanied the auction.  The model is made of a type of resin and is painted grey.  The base is wood and painted grey and light blue.  There is a stamp on the bottom of the base that says DISPLAYMASTERS, INC. and it looks like they were out of New Jersey but it's difficult to read the address on the stamp.   The model is fairly heavy due to the wood base and the resin.  It is 23 1/2 inches long; 13 1/2 inches wide and about 6 inches tall.  The photos on the Picture Tower are still clear and bright ... the model must've been stored out of the light for quite a while.  There are some chips out of the picture frames and slight paint loss on parts of the resin but otherwise it is in remarkably good condition for its age.  I was scared to death that shipping would damage it somehow but it arrived in great shape with no damage thanks to the seller's excellent packing.  I purchased it from Pacific Rim Camera out of Salem, Oregon.

Thought the members here might like seeing the model.  It was so surprising to me to see that a GE Model came up for sale at auction at almost the same time.  And, NO, I'm not the lucky bidder on THAT model.  Rita was OK with my purchase of the Kodak model but I'm sure a divorce would have been in order if I had said, "Oh, by the way, I also spent $15K on a GE model." 

Bill

nywf64.com

Kodak Model Page at nywf64.com

kodak65.jpg

kodak64.jpg

kodak69.jpg

kodak70.jpg

kodak66.jpg

kodak67.jpg

kodak68.jpg

kodak71.jpg

Regarding DISPLAYMASTERS, INC., I found this online in reference to the company:

It appears the firm
began before 1949, but I can't be certain of that.  In 1966, the
company is listed as follows:

Displaymasters, Inc.
354 Undercliff Avenue
Edgewater, New Jersey 07020
(201) 943-4224
Employees:  20
Advertising Displays
SIC 3993
President: J.C. Roll

The same listing is carried in the 1967 and 1968 NJ Industrial
Directory.  There is no listing for the company in the 1956-57 NJ
Industrial Directory, but that should not be construed as an
indicator of existence.

Good job..!

I'm a sniper myself on eBay and often win valuable artifacts due to the fact that, like your artifact, many people do not know how to list the items...

Search engines seek out KEY WORDS, and when the listing fails to use these KEY WORDS the artifacts will not reach the right collectors...

Again, a great find..!

I found it by accident.  I was bored and was surfing eBay.  Typed in “1964 York fair Kodak” and it came up in the listings with 3 days to go on the auction.  I did a “Best Offer” at first but bought it outright after some consideration.  Decided the price the seller was asking was reasonable considering how rare I thought the model was.  I hadn’t seen one up for sale in 16 years.  

Very nice Bill. What a find!

I can add that the last one I saw on eBay received 28 bids and sold for $898.88 on 11/24/13.

Very nice indeed.  Can you tell if the pictures are actual photos or printed pages? Many color photos from that time are faded even if kept in the dark.

Ah!  The photos on the Picture Tower are printed, not actual photos.  They are mounted on a hardboard and attached to the frame.   Craig, I paid $1250 for the model.  Considerably more than what the one you saw in 2013 but less than the one I saw in 2002.  I’m not used to spending dough like that for a collectible, but couldn’t pass it up.

Comparing the model and photos of the final pavilion reminds me that the best design and engineering make themselves invisible. I'm talking about the light trays for the tower. They ended up being much bulkier than the model indicates, but by making them the same height as the bottom part of the frame, perfectly horizontal and also black, they didn't register visually at all, didn't block the view of the images from the ground, and still filled their original purpose: providing bright even lighting that made the huge prints look like backlighted transparences. Now, if the roof had only been more like what people were expecting from the description "Moon Roof"...

Edit: actually, I prefer the roof as it was; they just should have used other terms to describe it ahead of time.

Nice catch.  When you said eBay I was wondering why I didn't come across it.  As you say, the seller must have not known what he had.

Any plans for lighting the model?  I can see the temptation of leaving it as is but can conceive of a couple of soft white LEDs concealed in the light trays to light up the prints.

Congrats on the acquisition.

A question just occurred to me.  I've seen pictures of Moses and other execs standing around a massive table model of the NYWF with pieces added as pavilions were signed or finalized in design.  Were those models also made by Displaymasters or did the NYWF have its own model shop to build those to the correct scale?  Also, does anyone know what happened to that big table? 

Nice model, Bill!

I tried to do a little digging around on Display Masters, and only came across this query on an online Humanities and Social Science database-- looks like an author was trying to track the same company down 17 years ago--

Humanities & Social Sciences Online - Search for Display Masters