Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Arriving at Expo 67!

Remember being so excited for that first glimpse of Expo when you arrived? The peaks of the roof of the main gate are way, way off - but you're almost there! September 9, 1967.

parking-lot.jpg

I remember arriving for the first time.  I entered (for the first time) at Place d'Acceuil and then boarded the Expo Express.  It was Saturday, the second full day Expo was open.  We arrived in Westmount the day before and could see Expo on the islands in the river below.  It took my breath away as it glittered, that night, in the distance.

For over fifty years I have tried to remember exactly where my school group stayed when we visited Montreal and went to Expo.  Last week, I saw a former classmate who was on that long ago trip.  He, too, had looked for that location.  We both knew it was a Roman Catholic monastery of some sort and he believed it was off of Sherbrooke and not far from Westmount.  So, that gave me a clue.  When I found it, I instantly recognized the place.  It is The Grand Seminare de Montreal on Rue du Fort.  We spent three days there.  I knew it the moment I saw the photograph of the main building.

https://www.gsdm.qc.ca/index.php

Jim,  You stayed at such a beautiful place.  During EXPO we stayed at St. Joseph Oratory, 3774 Queen Mary Road.   It too is magnificent!

Hi Annabelle.  I am amazed that you stayed at The Oratory.  I agree that The Oratory magnificent and the views from Mount Royal are world class.  Expo must have glittered in the St. Lawrence below.  I love that city.

Best, Jim