Bill Cotter

A favorite shot from the Fair

When I was picking pictures for my new book on the Fair I spotted a few I had used in the first one that I decided to go back and re-restore again. Not for the new book, but to take advantage of some newer technology since I first did them 10 years ago. This is one of my favorite ones, taken in 1940. I just love thinking how much those girls must have been enjoying that moment with their dad, so it seemed like a natural to redo it on Father's Day.

The original 35mm negative had really suffered over the years. Besides being stored in a roll until I got it, which made it tough enough to work with, it had also developed a severe curve in the opposite direction as well, making it bulge in the middle when on the scanner. I kludged a holder that got it to pretty much lay flat and finally after around 10 attempts got one that looked pretty much in focus despite the curves.

Then all I had to do was get off a fingerprint someone left on it decades ago and a couple of nasty scratches. That required a bunch of work in Photoshop. Too bad Digital ICE doesn't work on B&W film.

Despite spending way too much time on it I'm glad I redid it. 

girls-ice-cream-rescan-2.jpg

Here's the caption from the book: "The fair offered some of the finest meals in the New York area, especially in the foreign pavilions. Sometimes, though, the best food experience of all was an ice cream cone. There were more than 200 snack bars and concession stands for the budget conscious, the young at heart, and those in a rush to see more of the fair. "

Re-restore again? Is that three restorations or four?   ;)

Wonderful result!

What a wonderful snapshot.  A beautiful moment frozen in time.  The kid in the knickers looking down at the girls is priceless.

6 hours ago, worldsfairent said:

Is that a coin-operated scales next to the ice cream stand? If so, terrible placement! LOL.

Yes, someone had an interesting business model. And who even would think of weighing themselves at an event like a world's fair in the first place?

Is that a scale that prints out your weight?  The printouts could have had some world's fair artwork.