Sign in to follow this  
CaryVance

Seattle World's Fair illustration

I have a 1961 Seattle Century 21 Phone Directory with Jack Gordon's  vision of the layout. It is illustrated with a aerial view. The Space Needle was not part of his vision. I was wondering how scarce is this phone book. Any help or information would be great.

The Space Needle was, in many ways, a last minute addition to the Seattle Fair.  The idea was proposed by Edward Carlson, president of the Fair.  Construction of the tower began in late winter of 1960-1961 so it's likely the book was printed and sent to customers before the Space Needle concept was considered.  Telephone books are like time capsules.  Their information they contain is treasure trove of the past life of any given community.  I have no idea if your telephone book is scarce and I suspect larger libraries, historical societies etc. may keep copies of Seattle telephone books.  But you have one and to anyone interested in the Seattle World's Fair, it's a very cool artifact.

• Like 1

I was in awe when you spoke of the phone book you have.

Phone books and monthly magazines, the best time capsules.

Among the best in my opinion is national geographic, popular mechanics, and boys life.

Going a bit off topic, but discussion of phone books leads to the history of R. R. Donnelley & Sons, printing giant that did phone books as well as Sears catalogs and Time and Life magazines

https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-sciences-and-law/economics-business-and-labor/businesses-and-occupations/rr-donnelley-sons-company