xl5er

Uniroyal Giant Tire in the Wild

Found this on Twitter. Don’t remember this angle.

looks like my old 66 Mustang there too.

I pasted this pic as text. In case it doesn’t show up I’ll add as media too.

15A0A945-F7AB-4673-AF1C-FA6FA767C985.jpeg.071d76247e3024d21bd38c3e392cb8e6.jpeg

15A0A945-F7AB-4673-AF1C-FA6FA767C985.jpeg

Could this be taken after the giant wheel was moved from the fair ?

This got me trying to recall the last time I had white-wall tires.

Wow I forgot all about white walls being an option.

My entire automotive life became a commodity since modern cars converged to look alike and be equally resistant to shade tree, under the hood, noodling by requiring bizarre tools. Ballast resistor blown? Eh, just rent a new car.

Just yesterday I discovered a blown low beam on my aging Matrix. Feared I’d have to replace whole lens module. Happily only a bulb swap job using fingers.

I completely forgot the post fair travels of the wheel so I posted pic here without explanation for new members and perusers. Please excuse my unwarranted flippancy.

After the fair, in 1966, the wheel became a static display along I-94 in Allen Park, Michigan. I assume it was rolled from Flushing Meadow with attendent ceremony similar to transporting the statues on Easter Island from the quarry to display sites. 

But from headlights to tires my judgment is becoming suspect.

Yes, the tire was moved to the Detroit metro area after the Fair ended.

My 2012 Beetle needs new tires soon.  I'm desperately looking for white walls that will fit it, since modern blackwalls don't look right on a car with retro styling.

I think you can still special order whitewalls, along with sidewall stripes in various colors and widths.

Yeah, this photo is from the Detroit News. It was taken when it was just about done being rebuilt at US Rubber's midwest sales office in Allen Park, MI. Notice the crane behind the tire, and the work trucks at the base.

They report that the pieces of the tire were moved via rail from New York to Detroit, but when researching for my book, I discovered that ONE person said that in the 1990's and for whatever reason, it stuck. The fact is, it was moved by truck by the Townsend Sign Company.

https://www.detroitnews.com/picture-gallery/news/2015/03/17/big-uniroyal-tire-celebrates-50th-anniversary/24863301/

Townsend_Obituary.pdf

Not only did they remove the whitewall, they changed the hubcap.