Sign in to follow this  
j4sing

How many books do I need to get all of the images from the fair?

Hi folks! It's been a while since I've been on here.

I've been deep researching the 1893 Expo for a little over a year now, as part of my much larger project on the history of Coney Island.  Once I learned that this fair was more important to Coney Island than either of the 2 NY fairs, I had to learn everything about it. 

Already obtained reference materials are as follows-

1. World's Columbian Expositon by Bolotin and Laing 

2. The Chicago World's Fair of 1893 by Stanley Applebaum.

3. Wonders of Machinery Hall. 

4."Ultra massive photo adventure" by Mark Bussler.  And of course I have the beloved Gene Wilder film, also done by Mark Bussler. 

I also found online 15 exhibit catalogues,(!!!)and a visit to the Reference room at NY Library rewarded me with an original 1893 book of color drawings, which I photographed every page. 

So, now comes the question for you'se all. ("you'se all"  yeah he's not from Brooklyn)

There are two other photo  books available that I am considering buying. 

One is the smaller, earlier Applebaum book, and the second one

is  the Arcadia book on the 1893 World's Fair.  Do I need these too?   All of the covers are copied below, for recognition conveniences. 

Here is why I ask. 

It is common knowledge that the 1893 fair did not allow anyone to take pictures unless they purchased a permit, and the Columbian Guard enforced that very strongly.  Plus, cameras were large and heavy on tripods.  There were smaller hand held cameras but not developed enough yet to offer quality images due to long exposure etc.  Thus, there aren't nearly as many images of this expo out there as there are in later fairs.   I have a LOT, more than I even would have thought existed, but I am obsessed. I want them all. 

So with all the books that I have thus far, (and Gene Wilder) and the knowledge that there is such a small catalogue of existing images, I'm wondering if the smaller second Applebaum book is going to be a truncated version of the one I already have...

And the Arcadian Book, which does look appealing on it's cover, gives me a gut feeling that every image in the book is already in the other books I own.  The cover image alone is in both the Applebaum and Bussler books already) 

I don't want to pass up either of these books based on speculation, so that is why I am reaching out here.  I know there are a fair share of 1893 fans here, so hopefully someone who knows more than me can help me out here. 

Does anyone with a familiarity of the below collection , own either of these two books  (Arcadia or smaller Applebaum) and can offer insight as to whether I have the whole gamut of existing, high quality images of the fair, or if there is stuff in these two books not published elsewhere?     

Most of the Arcadia books are great, and my favorites are Bill Cotter's  World's Fair books and Chas. Denson's Coney Island and Astroland book, because nearly all if not completely all of the images belong to the authors private collections  and  were not seen elsewhere.  The 1893 Arcadia book literally impossible for the images to be the author's private collection, so  naturally,  I'm skeptical on buying it due to concern of nothing but repeats. Any insights are much appreciated!!   Thank you for reading my post, and Peace Through Understanding to all.  ~ ConeyEyeJ  

c2.jpgowned

c3.jpgowned

c5.jpgowned

c9.jpgowned

c11.jpgowned 

c10.jpg  1 or 2 books in question

c6.jpg2 of 2 books in question