Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

The book is nearing the finish line!

I received the first mock-up of the cover to my new book. There's an extra comma that snuck onto the back cover, and this will actually be my 12th book for them, so some minor tweaking will be needed, but I was happy with it. They are still playing around with photos so it may change as we wrap the book up. Twelve days to go and happily on schedule!

book-2-cover-1.jpg

To my proofreaders - chapters 1-5 are now online!

• Like 1

It looks great, Bill!  (I couldn't find the errant comma.)

Will the photographs only be in B/W?

One suggestion:  I think "...and plenty of the innovative architecture" would read better without the "the."

The comma is after architecture in that sentence.

Yes, this will be one of the longer B&W versions. Perhaps a third one in color someday but I'm just trying to survive this one right now. I lost a month out of my schedule when my dad passed away and I wanted to stick with the deadline so it's out for the Christmas shopping season, so it has made for some long days at times. Happily I  *think* I'm on schedule. Actually, I need to get done a day earlier as on Schedule Day I'll be giving a talk at Disneyland!

• Like 1

If the comma is redundant, then "which" should be "that"  -  "...and plenty of the innovative architecture that is a large part of..."

Take it from a "which/that" expert with skills honed on years of technical standards and journal papers editing.

Re: The extra comma

It actually depends on how you want the sentence to read.  If you are saying the architecture is a large part of these international exhibitions, then the comma should go.  If you are saying the technical marvels, international culture, cuisine, and architecture are a large part of international exhibitions then the comma should stay.

Also:  plural, groups=    are

singular, individual=    is

If you keep the singular is, then the comma should go.  (i.e.  this is)

If you keep the plural are, then the comma should stay.  (i.e. these are)

But seeing the word "is" in the sentence, it seems to me the comma should go.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to disagree slightly, but the comma is determined not by plurality, but by whether the phrase is restrictive or not. "Which" always takes a comma, for either singular or plural. "Is" or "are" simply indicates whether the phrase applies to all the preceding items or only the single immediately preceding item.

Pick the rose, which is a flower.

Pick the rose and the daisy, which are flowers.

Pick the rose that is red.

Pick the roses that are red.

6 hours ago, waynebretl said:

If the comma is redundant, then "which" should be "that"  -  "...and plenty of the innovative architecture that is a large part of..."

Take it from a "which/that" expert with skills honed on years of technical standards and journal papers editing.

I could live with "that"

6 hours ago, waynebretl said:

Sorry to disagree slightly, but the comma is determined not by plurality, but by whether the phrase is restrictive or not. "Which" always takes a comma, for either singular or plural. "Is" or "are" simply indicates whether the phrase applies to all the preceding items or only the single immediately preceding item.

Pick the rose, which is a flower.

Pick the rose and the daisy, which are flowers.

Pick the rose that is red.

Pick the roses that are red.

I disagree that you are disagreeing.  LOL   I think we agree.

Pick the rose, which is a flower.             rose        singular      is

Pick the rose and the daisy, which are flowers.              rose + daisy       plural       are

Architecture          is      

marvels, culture and cuisine, and architecture      are    

In my opinion, the comma's gotta go.

I'll be quiet now.  (Good thing I'm not an editor)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

I could live with "that"

Unlike Hall and Oates  ;)

• Haha 1