Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

A VERY different angle on the Fair

My head hurts just looking at this.

Interesting.  I wonder how he snapped the camera shutter for that once-in-a-lifetime photo of the Fair.

This is the sort of thing I never understand.  I understand crowd pleasing entertainment--to a degree.  Why would anybody even choose to do something like this?  

Interesting approach, Bill.  Gomez Addams, in the television show, advocated the idea that if a person wanted to jump from great heights, one would start by jumping from a chair, then a table, then something a little higher until that talented soul was jumping off of rooftops with no problem.  If I correctly recall, he believed one could work his or her way up to jumping out of airplanes with no parachute.

Yes, while there is a sort of idiotic logic to both concepts, I suspect the overall physics would be about the same--disastrous.

7 hours ago, Jim said:

Interesting approach, Bill.  Gomez Addams, in the television show, advocated the idea that if a person wanted to jump from great heights, one would start by jumping from a chair, then a table, then something a little higher until that talented soul was jumping off of rooftops with no problem.  If I correctly recall, he believed one could work his or her way up to jumping out of airplanes with no parachute.

What you said here reminded me of the jumping elk in the 1901 Buffalo Pan-American  Exposition.  The owner had them jumping into water from about 3 stories high. He started training them from 2 feet up.

I remember reading about this at the Pan. There was even a public electrocution of an elephant in the stadium as a form of entertainment and to highlight the powers of alternating current.  I never like it when humans train any animal to do something such as this or mistreat any living creature in such fashion.  The senseless cruelty and barbarity is obvious.  When humans elect to do this rather brainless sort of thing, however, I don't have any problem at all.  That is their choice.  And if it all ends in disaster, as such enterprises so often do, it certainly cannot be seen as tragic or even unexpected.  Life is challenging enough without adding to the degree of difficulty by going over Niagara Falls in a shoebox or tightrope walking between two skyscrapers on a string of dental floss.  And, of course, we always have the Darwin Awards....

C92D2099-1BB9-4509-8F5C-97FA4BCE2B3B.thumb.jpeg.2deb7c5f002370c8e397a998b28a4d09.jpeg

Saw this on Twitter today. There is another shot w less distorting lens. What if there was an earthquake? There’s already the prop wash and chest vibrating noise of a helicopter in their faces!

Let’s not forget the Mohawk iron workers.

http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2012/09/the-mohawks-who-built-manhattan-photos.html

Some people just dig it. They also surf, those who stand on waves.

BTW, I think we all can learn from the musings of Gomez Addams.

"There’s already the prop wash and chest vibrating noise of a helicopter in their faces!"

Of course, this was a drone shot. Tower inspections by drone are reducing the need for risky tower climbs, but construction is still a hands-on activity.

How did they get up there?  What's holding them place?  And how in god's name do they get down?

This says placement was done by a crane, so I imagine the photos may have been from the crane rather than a drone, and that's also how they got up there. It also appears there are slack safety straps hanging behind them in the shot from a somewhat greater distance.

http://ktla.com/2016/09/03/workers-place-spire-take-picture-atop-wilshire-grand-as-tower-becomes-tallest-on-the-west-coast/

Here's a shot with the crane:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wilshire-grand-tower-in-los-angeles-becomes-tallest-building-west-of-mississippi-river/

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-20857747-stock-footage-los-angeles-ca-usa-september-construction-worker-secures-the-final-part-of-the-spire-on.html?src=rel/8552419:0/gg

Argh. Thanks Wayne! I’m stuck in the past. 

First, I meant ROTOR wash, not prop.

Second, of course it was a drone!

I assumed they climbed up through the center.

I’m grateful I grew up w the kind of stupid kids who would recklessly jostle you in situations like that. Such distrust kept me well away from precipices my whole life. More people than authorities publically admit end up falling from, for example, National Park cliff edges and structures. Not including those poor souls doing so deliberately.