sunguar

Brand New Member

Hello everyone!  I am a huge fan of the fair from Massachusetts, having visited the fair in my youth.  I was amazed to find this forum, and I plan on going through it page by page.  It's like one giant book about the fair.  I've read "The Age of Innocence" by Lawrence R. Samuel and "The 1964-1965 New York World's Fair" by Bill Cotter and Bill Young.  Bill Cotter had some excellent color photographs in this book, and I'm amazed to find him as admin of these forums (and posting photos).

I have collected some memorabilia from the fair and have a huge framed map of the fairgrounds on my wall.  I can actually remember which pavilions I visited and my experiences therein.  I look forward to sharing memories with all of you.

Welcome to the World's Fair Community, sunguar. A lot of us have been getting lost in the pages of this site for many years now-- it's nice to have fresh eyes and new stories from a fair visitor like you. Enjoy!

I agree with everyone who has welcomed you.  You're going to have a fun time here.  There are good stories and good people.  Welcome!!

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome.

I have a notepad with notes I've been making, wanting to reply to a variety of Topics, but I have to wait 24 hours before I can even reply to one.  (I understand it's because of "bots" infiltrating the boards, so here is my one for today)

I am incredibly impressed by the photos posted here, and I just wish to thank Bill Cotter, Randy Treadway, WayneBretl, and RalphQuinn.  I'm sure I'll find some others who posted photos to thank also.  (I like to ask Randy if he was the official photographer of the fair, or was this an armature endeavor?  I'm sure I'll find his story if I keep reading).

Actually, WayneBretl, the sites you mentioned were ones I visited before coming here.  (Is there an official Facebook page?)

I'm also impressed by the detective work you guys do in determining where, when, and sometimes why exhibits were where they were.  Great job.

Well, off to more reading.

I hope not.

Thanks for the compliment, Sunguar. I was a come-lately to the group last year. Like you, I wasn't aware of its existence until recently, but made up for seventeen years of ignorance by dumping 1500 superslides on the unsuspecting heads of the grizzled veterans who have carried the torch for NYWF64 all this time. Maybe my late arrival is evidence that there must be others out there with a cache of images who will by good fortune, stumble on this group and display their treasures to a truly appreciative audience. You will find, as I did, a massive trove of information and nostalgic photos in the many pages of the six forums related to the Fair. Good hunting. 

Thanks, Bill.

Did I read somewhere that someone is working on a new book about the fair?

Also, there is a new (not period) Fair related T-shirt for sale on EBay.  It says "Queens", with the Q being the Unisphere, and the towers of NY state coming out of the N in "Queens".   I picked up a couple of them.  (Note: I have no relation to the seller)  If someone wishes I will post a photo.

I'm working on a second book on the 1939-40 Fair. I need to get back to that in a few minutes but I need a break! I haven't heard of any other 1964-65 books but there may well be one coming.

I'd love to see the shirt.

Here it is:

(The printing isn't crooked, it's my photography and the wrinkles.  Just got it today.)

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

It's apparently not a new design.

This was posted for the 50th anniversary.  Anyone know who the designer is?

P1010871_zps6b61f43f.jpg