Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Happy Birthday to the NYWF!!!

Fifty-four years ago today the gates swung open to the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, an event that would have a major impact on my future.

Where have all those years gone? It seems like just yesterday.

opening-day-press-kit-cover.jpg

• Like 1

Hard to believe 54 years have passed. We will never see an event like this in N.Y.C. again in the near future. 

• Like 1

At the time, twenty years in the future seemed unimaginable to me, let alone 54.

• Like 1

Thanks for the memory. 

2 hours ago, icedstitch said:

The year 2000 felt like it was a zillion years away even then.

Boy you’re right about that! It was also vitally important. The future was all I had; all any kid has. 

I sometimes like to gain perspective the passage of time.  It has been 54 years since the Fair opened.  Consider 54 years before the Fair opened--1910.  Looking back on 1910 from the vantage point of 1964 would have made 1910 seem like  ancient history.  Taft was president; Titanic had not yet take her maiden voyage and rammed into an iceberg; Archduke Franz Ferdinand had four years to live; Typhoid Mary was released from confinement; Gandhi led his first protests against apartheid in South Africa;  Halley's Comet reappeared; the first Zeppelin with passengers flies in Germany; Tsar Nicholas and Kaiser Wilhelm plot spheres of influence in the Middle East; George V becomes King of the UK;  A world's fair opened in Brussels; Mark Twain dies....

In 1964 all of this would have seemed like several lifetimes ago...  To a young person, today, 1964 (54 years) is as ancient to them as 1910 would have been to we young fair visitors.

Progress, building upon today's technology for tomorrow's technology.

I have an appreciation for how progress seems to have exponentially advanced in the last 150 years.