Hello,

I received a photocopy many years ago from an avid Columbian collector of the opening ceremony for the Ferris Wheel in 1893. It featured a crowd under the wheel with tables at which were seated the dignitaries and Ferris himself. The whole area was adorned with patriotic bunting and flags. I have been looking for the source of this image (which I have misplaced) to no avail. I was hoping someone had seen this and knew of the source. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

There is also The Hyde Park Historical Society.  Hyde Park is the residential enclave quite near to Jackson Park (site of the Columbian) and also borders The University of Chicago and the site of the Midway Plaisance where the Ferris Wheel stood.

This group has a strong connection to the World's Columbian Exposition and I have seen articles, in past newsletters, devoted to the Ferris Wheel.  They may have just what you are looking for.

Also, perhaps, the Chicago Tribune.

I was watching The American Experience on PBS tonight.  The focus was on the Loeb/Leopold 1924 murder case.  Long considered to be one of the most absorbing and horrifying murder cases of the 20th Century, it was hatched and executed in Hyde Park in Chicago.  Loeb and Leopold had privileged lives and came from exceedingly wealthy families living in Hyde Park.   One strange fact is that the typewriter used by these two killers to create a ransom note (although the 14 year old victim was dead) was found in a former Columbian lagoon in Jackson Park.  Creepy.