Bill Cotter

Looking for info on sculpture inside British Pavilion

Hi Bill,

No, sorry. All my images of this were taken on the stairway down and I see no plaque - none show whatever that is in the foreground on the floor which I believe a rare feature  - I want to know what that is. I can see it is some sort of map of British Marine commerce in relief. Very in interesting and new to me.  Perhaps in the Guidebook?

This is definitely the Maritime Hall.  It is described in detail in the Guide Book- from the floor map (which was executed in copper) to the display boxes seen beyond the map, containing rare documents.  Sculptors or artists who contributed to Maritime Hall are listed in the Guide book as Mr. Leonard Huskinson and Mr. Eric Revilious.

Superb work Randy. I think the floor bit in the foreground  might be of even more interest? What is that? I don't know! Doesn't appear Southampton. That moving diorama was in the Maritime Building ('39)and then the Communications Building ('40).  Whatever that is I suspect it to be if more importance than the sculpture. JMO.

Enhancing the shadows does show a map and apparently tiny ships, but I'm having trouble identifying the land masses shown.  There appears to be an American flag at the bottom left center.

British Mercantile shadows enhanced.jpg

The Guide Book said the map panels were made out of copper, with features like place names etched into the copper.

I think that's the North Atlantic.  Left-to-right Maine, Newfoundland & Nova Scotia, Greenland (with the two figures in parkas), then the island of Iceland.  Lots and lots of ships to the right of Iceland, which I presume is the shipping lanes around Ireland.

I believe you're right.