Found these very colorful Kodachrome slides of the Seattle World's Fair on Flickr.....and a bonus piece about the Space Needle's "change of colors" in 1968.....

AerialView13.jpg

AerialView15.jpg

AerialView19.jpg

HouseOfFlowers&SpaceNeedle2.jpg

InternationalFountain&SpaceNeedleAtNight2.jpg

PlazaOfTheStates&SpaceNeedle9.jpg

SpaceNeedle&HallOfIndustry3.jpg

SpaceNeedle&RepublicOfChinaPavilion.jpg

SpaceNeedle&SafecoInformationCenter2.jpg

SpaceNeedle2.jpg

SpaceNeedleAerial3.jpg

SpaceNeedleAerial6.jpg

SpaceNeedleFromColiseumCentury21b.jpg

SpaceNeedle-NewColors1968.jpg

The colors bring the early 1960s back to life.  Maybe its the age of the film or perhaps the colors were that dramatic but it all reminds me of Fizzies or all those different flavors of Jello or Life Savers.  And that's not  bad thing.  It's how we hoped the future world be--colorful beyond imagination.

The first three photos are a great example of why this seventy plus acre fair was called a "Jewel Box."  It was a little fantasy world planted right in the middle of sprawling Seattle.

I also think of a line from Frasier.  Marty Crane was checking on Frasier who was ill and the thought of food made him even more sick.  Marty was trying to recall when he felt that rotten and came up with a few memories that would make anybody gag.  Then he hit one out of the park:  "Oh, I remember now.  1962.  World's Fair.  The Tilt-A-Whirl was located right next to the Taste of India...."

• Haha 1

Based on the vivid color rendition and the pop of the reds and oranges, I'm betting these were shot on good old reliable Kodachrome.  I'm assuming the gazebo with the "We Wire Flowers" sign was the FTD exhibit.  This is the first picture I've seen of the building.

The flower stand was by Teleflora, not FTD. I enjoyed the photos but thought the reds and oranges in some looked a bit oversaturated - like in the 9th picture with the Safeco information stand, for example.

The Space Needle with its simple elegance is wonderful in these old photographs.  It is incredible to think it was something of an afterthought sketched by Edward Carlson, Century 21 chairman, on a napkin and then constructed in less than a year.  Remarkable. 

Can anyone image how we would look at these photos, today, if the Space Needle had been constructed as a temporary structure?

5 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

The flower stand was by Teleflora, not FTD. I enjoyed the photos but thought the reds and oranges in some looked a bit oversaturated - like in the 9th picture with the Safeco information stand, for example.

The saturation generally looks high to me too, but the Safeco one in particular seems to be taken during "golden hour" when the sunlight added to the very warm tone.  I also note the difference in color of the roads between two aerial shots, the second and third slides. They are brownish in one and blue-gray in the other. Hard to say how much is in the originals and how much in the scan adjustments.