waynebretl

Japan's rock wall

$4.00 is more than I would usually pay for a slide, but this one was the best-composed I have seen of the wall and sign at the Japan pavilion.

Japan wall Kodachrome JUL64 PS 1024.jpg

Great slide!!

Can’t say the same for the sidewalk / hydrant placement. Knowing the Japanese sensibility of aesthetics, that disharmonious violation of spatial balance might have driven some poor architect to fall on his sword in disgrace.

Is the man on right looking for the Pamplona bull running or is he a costumed pavilion employee?

That oddly placed hydrant surely took its toll of skirts and nylons.

It's the "awe-inspiring pavilion test" - rated by how many first aid cases it generates while strollers are gaping at the nearby pavilion. Note that the statistics are not comparable from fair to fair due to different hydrant colors and distances from the pavilions, and no statistics on the percentage of visitors wearing dark glasses. 

B)

It just struck me to wonder if there was a hydrant at the same location in 1939.

I think the Japan pavilion was on or very near the site of the 1939 Borden pavilion.

Can’t wait to see the results of this historical sleuthing! History Detectives without the politics. 

Well, hydrant locations are shown on the 64/65 operations drawings, but where can we find info on 1939? 

I just spent time viewing over an hour of 1939 film on Youtube, and saw not one fire hydrant. Could they have used some sort of ground level connections, or maybe the hydrants were built into the pavilion walls?

Here's an ad (on sale on ebay) for a company that supplied hydrants for the 1939 fair!

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/1937-AP-Smith-fire-hydrant-1939-New-York-Worlds-Fair-NYC-aerial-photo-print-ad/362266504220?hash=item5458c42c1c:g:o3EAAOSw8zdapYfw

A fire hydrant (dark green) at 0:07

The discovery of a fire hydrant is interesting.

The film is just wonderful.  It's these scenes that bring the NYWF back to life.  I notice that the vast majority of people in this film are female.  This may have something to do with the eye of the photographer or it may be the result of weekday crowds when men were at work.  

And don't miss the scene of the two Catholic nuns, at about 2:16, enjoying their day at the Fair.