Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

A different angle on the Time Capsule

Most people don't realize that the time capsule marker in the park today is not over both of the capsules. It was placed over the 39-40 capsule, with the 64-65 one a few feet off to the side. The cap of the tube it was lowered into can be seen in this June 1964 view.

westinghouse-june-64.jpg

Interesting.  I didn't realize the monument was sitting in  pool of water during the second fair or that it was created before the 1964 Fair opened.  It makes me continue to wonder what Westinghouse did with the original monument that marked the 1938 capsule site.  And now that I think about it, I have to remind myself that the first Westinghouse capsule was buried before the 1939 Fair opened while the 1965 capsule was buried on that fair's final day, or close to that day.

I have always figured NYC disposed of the original monument and supplied the new one.  Maybe Westinghouse was responsible for both.

The original monument was reported last seen in a city storage facility around 1970s or so, along with pieces from Penn Station and other broken monuments, etc. Nothing heard since then!

Maybe sometime in the far future, say 5,000 years from now, someone will be digging somewhere and unearth the 1938 Westinghouse monument....  Oh wait, I think I've got my memories confused....