Bill Cotter

Can anyone positively identify the location of this exhibit?

Oh!. Darn...that dotted trail up the mountain is the clue. Unless this is a projected something or other being shown for another reason. Other clues in the cieling. Good one Bill, ya got me! 

23 minutes ago, George J Fogel said:

It looks like a part of the Challenge to Greatness ride at the United States pavilion.

Check the forum section - this is from 1939-40, not 64-65

Any further clues if you brighten up the dark semicircle on the left?

Here's that semicircle. It's not restored yet so still dirt and scratches. Looks like a reflection of people seated, as I can see someone with his legs crossed, and feet on a floor. That help anyone?

unknown-set-42-13-2.jpg

Could it be a stage setting with an audience?

Or, New Hampshire, which had "realistic dioramas" reproducing "some of the State's famous activities, interests, and scenic beauties."

"One of the displays depicts Tuckerman's Ravine on the side of Mount Washington."

That mountain may be too steep to be Mt. Washington, I don't know; and the photo doesn't show the ravine. 

The only other reference I could find was that the Japan pavilion had a "worlds largest" photo mural of Mt. Fuji.

I don't think it's the Japan Pavilion-- here's a copy of their brochure with a picture of the Mt. Fuji photo mural:

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 11.18.01 PM.png

I wonder if maybe it's inside the Sun Valley Pavilion? At least that one featured "real snow," "mountain scenery," and an Alpine Village theme.

MN115321.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 11.31.03 PM.png

Hi Trey,

That was my first guess too - inside Sun Valley. It's all I can think of. But I would expect to see ice skaters and people eating - not sitting like this. But, we do not know the rest of the exhibit. I still think that dotted trail might be a clue? What about Wshington State (Mt. Ranier) or Mount...Adams...? Is the climbing gear generic or also a clue?

Eric :)

There are windows adjacent to the climber.  Appears to be a skylight in the ceiling and possibly the stars on the ceiling light up.   

Sun Valley is a possibility as is Switzerland. 

I asked over in a thread by a climbing enthusiast on another web site, and someone said it looks like the east side of Mount Rainier.

From the 1939 guidebook:  Washington had "realistic, activated, three-dimensional displays...the crown of mighty Mt. Rainier..."

Looks like the Kautz Glacier route.

Kautz Glacier route 2.jpg

Kautz Glacier route 3.jpg

adv_mount_kautz_Overview.jpg

Kautz glacier route 1.jpg

Wow! I am shocked - I made my last guess of Rainier just by looking at rocks, trails and that dotted clue :) I did not have a guidebook handy!

Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton, New York) ·  12 Aug 1939, Sat ·  Page 17

Downloaded on Apr 13, 2019

- :)

Is there any chance more extensive pictures of the Washington State exhibit interior are archived somewhere? The lack of comprehensive interior pavilion shots is a recurring frustration in both 1939 and 1964.

Hi Wayne,

That is a good question but this thread makes me feel like I/we may well have already seen some interiors and did not know it. :o

Best wishes,

Eric  

This is the only official photo I've ever seen from inside the Pavilion-- in this case, of some Washington State VIPs viewing a diorama of the Grand Coulee Dam. 

1939_New_York_World_Fair (14).jpg

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 10:19 AM, waynebretl said:

Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton, New York) ·  12 Aug 1939, Sat ·  Page 17

Downloaded on Apr 13, 2019

- :)

Is there any chance more extensive pictures of the Washington State exhibit interior are archived somewhere? The lack of comprehensive interior pavilion shots is a recurring frustration in both 1939 and 1964.

That's the plot of "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain!"

Great find--the newspaper article.  I live between Binghamton and Syracuse.  That was probably originally printed in The Binghamton Press.  It merged with the Binghamton Sun Bulletin (a tabloid) in 1969.  It still publishes, today, as the Press and Sun Bulletin.