Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

Construction Aerial From Three Miles Up!

A detail from new acquisition. January 4th, 1939. This is a but a crop - the whole image shows the entire Fair - literally all - all parking lots, both lakes, all Governments, even the Marina and air/sea arrival area. I once sold an original print of this - but that was actually a crop and I did not know it! This is a slightly smaller print, but the whole image uncropped and likely a contact print. Full size here - click and enjoy :)

1939 NYWF  from 3 miles high 3 Jan 4th 1939.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know why, but if you right click on the image and open this file in a new tab and click again you will see a HUGE file I have uploaded. If you just click "here" it does not seem to show full size. E

Eric,

I can't open that larger file because I have  Mac and it has no right click.  Nevertheless, this is a great shot.  The detail is wonderful.  Where was the Parachute Jump at this point in time?  Was it a bit right of what we can see of the Amusement Zone or was it just not yet constructed?

Look at the sheer size of that fair and its remarkable look of permanence.

Eric, you made reference to a "new tower" for Westinghouse in 1940 when we were looking at the opening day photo.  The above aerial shot shows Westinghouse without no tower at all.  Has it not yet been constructed?   I can't believe there was no tower in 1939.  Photos I've seen show a tower.  I'm confused.

Would you be able to share what you know about the tower?  Thank you.

Jim