Bill Cotter

Some exciting FMCP news today!

WOW! I can't quite see what all the heck is going on there is so much misting in the rendering (and some odd scaled kids) - but I am all for it!  Maybe it is mist in my eyes? :)

The mist reminds me of that intended spray at the bases of the Moods. Exiting!!!!!!! Could this be deigned to serve as a skating rink in winter (ok ok, not very original) or some other use? What about the rest of the year?

"They’ve tried to keep people out [of the Unisphere pool] by installing barricades, opening up hydrants and utilizing Parks Enforcement Patrol officers.

None of those methods have worked."

1) Electric eels.

2) Simple signage saying the water is runoff from that mess of a lagoon.

It is an unexpected use of what were once fountains.  Clearly, they will no longer be fountains but a place for people to wade, splash and cool off on hot days.  Nothing inherently wrong with that.

Doesn't that create a serious liability for the City, however?  A person can slip and drown in just a few inches of water as easily as they can in a nine foot deep swimming pool.  Will they have lifeguards?  I'm not sure but I think that would be NYS law anyway.

Is it really accurate for the article to state that Robert Moses "designed" the cascading fountains?

It is an unusual rendering.  At first glance it looked like white water rapids.  Then it looked like steam coming from an outdoor hot tub.  It also reminds me of the fog on the moors of Scotland except nobody is wearing tweed.

Agreed, that rendering was very odd. The sky, all of it. Looked like cotton candy exploding, or foam like that "snow" in the Finney version of Murder on the Orient Express. The whole scene seemed off. 

I thought of those right away too Bill, but the electric eel was at the 1939 so I thought a chance for a little revenge was on order...;)

Think of all those ducks nearly trampled to death!

Finally!! I was at the park last week.. in a effort to find a bathroom I had to walk all the way to the far end of the park and I passed these pools.. pretty sad state that they were in.. would be a welcome change..

Now as far as the Unisphere I was a little disappointed when I finally was able to catch it when the fountain was on it was only I would say hardly 2% full but I guess that's for safety reasons.