Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Expo Express crossing Concordia Bridge

Good lord, what a beautiful shot.  It's so simple and clear but it speaks volumes about the sleek efficiency of this remarkable people mover.  Expo Express was a brilliant concept and as much of an attraction as almost any Expo pavilion.

• Like 1

That the one with the rubber wheels? I remember that being a big deal for me, my sensitive 10 yr old eardrums otherwise enduring the squealing subterranean hellscape of the NYC subway system. 

The Metro had rubber wheels. I think was was a traditional steel wheel system. I, too, appreciated the rubber wheels after the NYC assault on my ears.

The Montreal Metro still runs on rubber wheels and is entirely underground.  It has no elevated or ground level routes.  This, alone, makes it considerably different than the Expo Express.

Well, that, and the fact that the Expo Express was fully automated.  It needed no engineer or driver of any sort.  However, after the first few weeks of operation, so many passengers were disconcerted by the lack of anyone in front "operating" the train, an individual was placed in the front compartment.  All that person could do is stand there and watch where the Express was going.  It was just for show because the train was still operated from a command center.

I love it.  Expo expected "twelve million people in six months."  

Wow.  Those planners were so wonderfully wrong.  This is a great film. I love watching the trains' arrival in Montreal.  Incredible. Many thanks to you.