I know that the US Rubber Giant Tire Ferris wheel was designed by Shreve, Lamb & Harmon, but does anyone know the name of the contractor hired to build/construct it?

pinsdaddy-new-york-worlds-fair-1964-photos.jpg

1 hour ago, SJHYM said:

Where did the Ferris wheel part end up after the fair closed?

One report says Lake George, NY, and another says Atlantic City, NJ. I've never seen positive confirmation of either.

23 minutes ago, Bill Cotter said:

One report says Lake George, NY, and another says Atlantic City, NJ. I've never seen positive confirmation of either.

It definitely went to Steel Pier in Atlantic City.

While researching it for my book,  I found several newspaper articles from 1968 announcing the new attraction that season (they were calling the 'Sky Wheel') as being the same Ferris wheel that was part of the US Rubber Giant Tire at the World's Fair. What is interesting is that they were also calling it the tallest Ferris wheel in the country, but I've never seen any accounts of it being the tallest when it was at the World's Fair. Maybe because the later accounts were adding the extra 20' the platform was up off the beach, while it sat on the pier?

From what I can tell from my research, it was gone by 1974. This pic is from 1971.

steel pier 1971 sky wheel.jpg

3 hours ago, speedwell said:

It would appear to be Thatcher Construction Co.

Thanks.

Too bad that is another dead end for my research!

https://nylocalizer.com/biz/92441/thatcher-construction-co-inc

Thanks for the update.  We used to summer in Atlantic City in the late 60's to the mid 70's.  I remember riding that Ferris Wheel

I've seen later photos where every other other gondola is missing.  My guess is that if there was a maintenance problem with one, they took half off to keep it balanced, then they had spare gondolas when needed.

I can't find any info on what happened to it when it was taken down. Probably hauled away as scrap.

With all of the reincarnations of the giant tire along the Edsel Ford Freeway (Including one with a giant eleven foot nail protruding from it), and all of the you tube entries explaining the history of the tire and offering scenes of the interior, it's difficult to imagine anyone thinking the ferris wheel is locked inside of that thing.

Yes I remember riding the wheel on Steel Pier in the 70's. And every other car was missing.  Here is a picture of it intact on the pier 1968...

steel-pier-atlantic-city-1968-bobby-cole.jpg

8 hours ago, Jim said:

it's difficult to imagine anyone thinking the ferris wheel is locked inside of that thing.

Never underestimate the power of the stupid.