Bill Cotter

The Fountain of the Planets. June 1964.

NYC certainly had its chance.  The fountains were ripped out twice--after 1940 and after 1965.  How remarkably wasteful.

The only real model lifelong New Yorkers had for a large size urban park, was Central Park.  I suspect they viewed Central Park as the gold standard because that's all they knew.   And as far as I know, the large ponds in Central Park never had fireworks show capability.... in fact such a thing was viewed as gaudy and distasteful.  They liked their Central Park ducks and comparitive quiet respite from Manhattan noise and air pollution.

I also understand that there is quite a disdain by big money Manhattanites and the City Hall they control, for Queens in particular and Long Island as a whole.   They viewed the entire area as uncouth Archie Bunker and Ralph Kramden / Ed Norton types, who did not deserve any investment in a top notch urban park, which they reserved for themselves in Central Park.

Say what you will about Robert Moses, but he saw things differently and wanted to invest in making life better for Queens / LI residents, like Jones Beach and FMCP.

By the way, IMHO, Central Park is nice but isn't (and never has been) a gold standard.  They really needed to look MUCH farther afield to find examples of 'the best of the best'.  For instance I look at Chicago for a superb example of an urban fountain (Buckingham Fountain).

Seattle has some great parks too, and Vancouver, Canada has one of the very best (Stanley Park).

Every inch of Central Park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the great landscape architect,  who had designed the US Capital Grounds, the World' Columbian Exposition, Delaware Park in Buffalo (a part of the site of the Pan American Exposition) and the gardens at Park Mount Royal in Montreal.

9 hours ago, Jim said:

Every inch of Central Park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the great landscape architect,  who had designed the US Capital Grounds, the World' Columbian Exposition, Delaware Park in Buffalo (a part of the site of the Pan American Exposition) and the gardens at Park Mount Royal in Montreal.

Stole the words or of my mouth.  I stopped to do further research, and came back to see your reply. 

I remember National Geographic doing a large article on his work a few years back. It was weird to learn he created cemeteries as elaborate parks for people in the 1800's.

I figured he played a role in a couple large projects in the US, and had to include world fairs too.