Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

A very different angle on a luminaire

It appears you've come across some wonderful black and white photographs taken by an artistic soul with a very good eye.  He or she was looking for much more than a few souvenir shots.  

They were special flat panel fluorescent bulbs having a serpentine tube built in. Their use didn't last many years beyond the Fair, as the manufacturing process did not produce a good seal and they suffered early failure compared to regular cylindrical bulbs. The construction was such that the serpentine could not be seen in the bottom surface, but of course it became visible when they were lit. They also did a little trick with deluxe phosphors on the bottom and ordinary cool white on the top.

GE Panel F square fluorescent lamp.pdf

• Like 2

Over on the Facebook page (i'm not a member of FB, but could view the posts), I saw a picture of replacement acrylic paneling "similar to the original" on the luminaires.

However, I'm wondering if the originals had acrylic on the bottom or simply exposed the bottom of the fluorescent panels.

The acrylic could have been added when the failure prone flat fluorescent lamps were replaced after the fair; but maybe it was already there. Anybody know for sure?

25 minutes ago, waynebretl said:

However, I'm wondering if the originals had acrylic on the bottom or simply exposed the bottom of the fluorescent panels.

It would appear that some of the cubes had colored panels on the bottom, and others had white or frosted. That would tend to indicate they had an acrylic bottom, separate from the fluorescent panel. Might be worth asking this seller for his/her thoughts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Fully-Restored-NY-Worlds-Fair-1964-65-Luminaire-Street-Light-Cube/192405657285?hash=item2ccc4556c5:g:ztoAAOSwgKpZrKHU

s-l1600[1].jpg