Bill Cotter

The Streets of Paris

The 1940 season of the 1939-40 New York World's Fair saw the addition of "The Streets of Paris" show, featuring Gypsy Rose Lee. It was supposedly quite popular. From original negatives.

streets-of-paris.jpg

streets-of-paris-2.jpg

streets-of-paris-3.jpg

• Like 1

Gypsy Rose Lee was popular enough that they made reference to it in the Parrot and Toucan show at Progressland

Great photos.  The Amusement Zone was so much more active and popular during 1939-40 than during the 1964-65 fair.  The Music Hall, in 1939, hosted the Hot Mikado, with Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.  It was popular, but Gypsy Rose Lee was more sensational and everyone knew of her acting "talent" as a stripper.   I wonder what Sally Rand was doing in 1940.

On 4/2/2018 at 10:00 PM, Jim said:

Great photos.  The Amusement Zone was so much more active and popular during 1939-40 than during the 1964-65 fair.  The Music Hall, in 1939, hosted the Hot Mikado, with Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.  It was popular, but Gypsy Rose Lee was more sensational and everyone knew of her acting "talent" as a stripper.   I wonder what Sally Rand was doing in 1940.

I think Sally Rand was at her "Nude Ranch" at the GGIE in San Francisco.

You are correct, expoboy.  I had totally forgotten she was gainfully employed in San Francisco.  I love it--her "nude ranch."  Another reason why I wish I could have seen that fair.

Sally had a real mastery of words (and feathered fans and large plastic bubbles).  She often told her admirers who loved her fan dancing at the Century of Progress, that "the Rand is quicker than the eye."

Bill (or anybody else), what is that oil derrick-looking thing directly in front of the Perisphere in picture #2?

18 hours ago, Randy Treadway said:

Bill (or anybody else), what is that oil derrick-looking thing directly in front of the Perisphere in picture #2?

Pretty sure that IS an oil derrick, at the Petroleum exhibit.

It was a model of an oil derrick for Petroleum Industries.  It was a different time.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:10 PM, magikbilly said:

Photograph #2 was taken I believe from the Arial Skyride?

I believe so.