Bill Cotter

An Amphicar passing Hawaii

I've often thought it unfortunate that neither NYWF took significant advantage of this lake or any other nearby water source as a part of its overall design plan.  Fairs that significantly incorporated water features have always been so appealing:  Chicago 1933, Cleveland 1937, San Francisco 1939, Montreal 1967.  Just a thought.

The photo does suggest why it's not likely you will find such a beast at a dealer near you.

Probably not, but they ARE from the same production run, which went from what- 1961?- to about 1965.... and 4,000 were built.  New ones were still being sold into 1967 when inventory ran out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim said:

I've often thought it unfortunate that neither NYWF took significant advantage of this lake or any other nearby water source as a part of its overall design plan.  Fairs that significantly incorporated water features have always been so appealing:  Chicago 1933, Cleveland 1937, San Francisco 1939, Montreal 1967.  Just a thought.

Ditto Expo 86, great use of water side locale

Mom took us for one of those rides! Guess that makes me the only PTUer to have done so? Be feeling pretty special about now.

Aspects of that fair I have zero recollection of, but the image of latching that door and its watertight seal next to my knee, and low eye level point of view of the water for some reason stuck with me. Perhaps the act of riding a car into water and becoming a boat was a transcendent moment for a 7-8 year old. I remember being not at all afraid or uncomfortable, both of which emotions I promise I would be registering nowadays. What I find most remarkable was mom actually springing for it. (I assume we had to pay. Or was it a demo?)

I will try not to gloat and let my unique accomplishment go to my head. 

It's certainly okay to gloat about such a rare and notable memory. Otherwise, who would hear about it and share the experience (or envy you)? Or, as the ancient Neanderthals used to say: "He who tooteth not his own horn, getteth it not tooted."