samcuth

Mystery 'Hungarian' designed film exhibit at the fair

Hi folks,

Hoping your expert knowledge might help me solve a mystery. I've been interviewing someone that attended the NY fair (not entirely sure which year, possibly both), and he makes reference to a 'Hungarian' designed film exhibit. The full quote for reference:

....one of the big hits in New York was a theatre, Circarama which was a Hungarian design originally and it was really good and the film that showed in there was really human and about people and everything else like that.

In my research Circarama (aka Circle Vision 360) wasn't at the NY World's Fair. It was however at the Swiss Expo in 64 though which he also attended, so maybe he's misremembering.

Was there any other film exhibit that was designed by a Hungarian person or company that matches this description about a human film? I'm thinking maybe it was the IBM film? But that has no ties to a Hungarian designer as far as I can see. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

"...one of the big hits in New York was a theatre, Circarama which was a Hungarian design originally and it was really good and the film that showed in there was really human and about people and everything else like that."

I'd guess this is a confused memory of the Johnson Wax film "To Be Alive," which certainly fits the description of the content, and was directed by Alexander Hammid, who was born in Austria-Hungary:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0352413/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

The Johnson Wax theater was not a circle, but a wide three-panel screen.

The Golden Rondelle theater is now located in Racine, Wisconsin, and is open for public tours and showings of "To Be Alive," now remastered and preserved in digital high definition. 

http://www.scjohnson.com/en/company/visiting.aspx

Search "Golden Rondelle" on this site (worldsfaircommunity.org) for more info in past threads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much folks, this is exactly the kind of insight my research wasn't throwing up. I really do appreciate it! 

If I ever get the chance to chat to him again I'll see if any of these jog his memory to clarify it. I think "To Be Alive" sounds very much like the film he was trying to remember.