Bill Cotter

For the Von Roll fans!

Bill, can you give us a good zoom-in on the area around the NBC truck?  Any celebrities down there?  I see a red station wagon.  Maybe they were doing filming there.

I'm interested in the truck. I don't think I've seem one painted exactly like it. It may be a 50s vintage TV truck or a radio truck. I wonder if the finer lettering says "television" or "network" or something else.

Edit: are the big letters NBC (as it seems to me) or ABC or?

Wayne it looks like NBC TELEVISION.

And it looks like it has the rails and platform on the top so you place a camera tripod up on the roof.

On the other side of the truck, it looks like a forklift with a work platform.

Well, that is really interesting. It's NBC, not from a particular station, an older monochrome truck, and apparently in use, not just a prop for a colorcast. The way RCA/NBC were promoting color at the Fair, this boggles my mind.

With the rain, could it be opening day?

Edit: it occurs to me that if this is opening day, all the color trucks could have been tied up at the opening ceremonies.

7 minutes ago, Randy Treadway said:

Maybe they were filming the Edwin Newman special "World's Fair Diary".  That was on NBC in '64.

Quite possible. The special was produced on color film, which easily could have been done out of a truck like that.

Edit:  it probably could have been done from the red station wagon, for that matter.

Maybe they're trying to figure out why the Unisphere's fountains are not all spraying at the same height! Perhaps some kid dropped his bubble gum into the intake pipe.

1 hour ago, RalphQuinn said:

Maybe they're trying to figure out why the Unisphere's fountains are not all spraying at the same height! Perhaps some kid dropped his bubble gum into the intake pipe.

The height varied, moving around the Unisphere in an undulating pattern. Look for some movies of the area.

Thanks, Bill, for clearing up that mystery. The knowledge you guys have of the Fair is impressive---nay, astounding! Having donated all of my photos, I have finally found time to read from the many past postings, and am benefitting from a major improvement in my conception of the Fair, plus getting the answer to questions that have laid dormant in my mind for decades (even questions I didn't know I had!).   

1 hour ago, Bill Cotter said:

Albert mentioned on Facebook this was Opening Day.

Thanks for relaying the info. (I have no intention of joining Facebook.) 

Did Albert say how he knows this shot is of opening day?

Bill, 

The whole time I was wondering why you said Von Roll, thinking you were referring to the tv crew down below in some obscure reference I didn't know.  The conversation that it stirred up didn't help either.

The name caught my eye today on the cable car.  Whoops, and how fun to learn what you meant!.

1 hour ago, waynebretl said:

Thanks for relaying the info. (I have no intention of joining Facebook.) 

Did Albert say how he knows this shot is of opening day?

No, he didn't specify a performer.

Now that I look again, I see three men lined up with a woman in front of them, but on the other hand it doesn't look like there is anything preventing the general public from wandering by them.

Albert said it rained most of the day during final videotaping for NBC's Opening Night Special, but he confirmed that the Edwin Newman special was filmed instead of videotaping, and implied that it did not rain during that filming.