Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Italia '61

I was looking through a European history text and found a reference to Italia '61 which was, evidently, a BIE sanctioned specialized exposition held in Torino in 1961.  It was held to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the unification of Italy.  I had never heard of this event before but it was, evidently, something of a success.  Many of the buildings designed for this small fair remain today (they had been planned with post fair use in mind) and several were used during the Torino Olympic winter games in 2006.  The fair park remains in use today as well.  The fair also had a ALWEG monorail which ran from one end of the fair to the other with stops in between near various exhibit buildings.  I do not find information as to attendance or even representation from other nations, but the few photos I've seen suggest a charming and creative fair.  Does anyone have any more information about this small fair?

I first found reference to Italia 61 in a text book I use in my European History course.  It quite surprised me.   It was an actual event and rather successful. It's also noteworthy that this fair produced the beautiful facility which was later used for figure skating and short track at the 2006 Torino Olympic Winter Games (The Palavela).  The wiki link also provides a link to another website that contains photographs of the still existing monorail tracks and stops which linked the grounds in 1961.

The BIE website does contain photos and information about Expo 61.  Nineteen nations, including the USA, participated.  There were five million visitors. Disney even presented a 1000 seat Fiat Circarama which showed a film highlighting sights and landmarks throughout Italy.  This must be the first time this technology was presented--or very close to the first time.

That's  a very interesting site.  One does not need to read Italian to appreciate the photographs of this event.  There are some interesting links to related sites including six or more to monorail sites.

I find that Google Translate makes the Italia 61site comprehensible to this non-Italian speaker...

Interestingly, the text itself uses the Circarama name for the Disney film process, but the description makes it clear that the film was actually presented in Circlevision, Disney's improved successor format.  (Basically, Circarvision used eleven 16mm projectors, while Circlevision used nine 35mm projectors and delivered a superior image.

https://d23.com/a-to-z/circarama-u-s-a/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle-Vision_360°