Astounding photographs.  I've never seen a photo of the GM pavilion with awnings over the switchback lines leading into the Futurama ride.

That fair looks as if it could and should have lasted forever.

For a World's Fair, there certainly is a lack of foreign countries represented.

For instance, in all these photos, only a single foreign country, Czechoslovakia, is shown.

Personally, I enjoyed the industrial pavilions more than the state and foreign exhibits.

On 11/6/2017 at 9:20 PM, expoboy said:

Stunningly beautiful.  I did see one error; #10 is the GM Pavilion, not Ford.

To my surprise, an editor from Atlantic contacted me by email after I pointed out the error in the comments section of the article and it was corrected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About sixty nations participated with pavilions or exhibits in some form in 1939.  It was the photographer's option as to which photos he or she would use for this collection.

• Like 1

I never imagined photos of this quality existed for the 1939 fair. Truly astounding!

The 1939 Fair was constructed with a color coded theme.  The Theme Center was allowed to be pure white but extending from the Trylon and Perisphere in concentric rings were subtle rainbow shades of color.  This plan is often evident in 1939 color photos.  Secondly, there was an almost "permanent" look and design to most 1939 pavilions in New York.  There was no use of plastic or vinyl construction materials and pavilions had to meet the standards set by the Design Board of the NYWF.  Again, this gave a look of permanence to most Fair structures.  I believe this is all readily evident in quality 1939 photographs.