RalphQuinn

Touring the Official Map #1

The Official Souvenir Map was truly a work of art in itself, produced by some talented folks at Time-Life Books. In the early seventies I decided to zoom in on the map with a precision camera and appropriate lenses, to produce fairly high-definition slides of sections of the Fair, plus individual pavilions. This has turned out to be particularly useful in the digital age, since greatly enlarging the sections of a digital map can result in fuzzy images. This is the first of three postings, and each image is a separate photograph of the map, painstakingly de-spotted and color corrected (even more painstaking, since there are so many visual details to be careful of!). Included in this first posting are three "super-closeups" that didn't make it into earlier offerings. A couple of images that were recently included in a different posting are repeated here for consistency. 

59e176f684033_1.SouvenirMap.thumb.jpg.e2d6af35b05addf7edbcf52337cba957.jpg

This is my largest slide, which did not quite include the entire Fair area. Also, my single lighting source couldn't cover the whole map at one time, causing some darkness at top and bottom. Fortunately, I could move the light around in capturing close-ups.

59e17709eb9c3_2.SouvenirMap.thumb.jpg.8c33e3d6ef5e9340b09280e1a8a80419.jpg

Imagine all the intricate work that was required to draw and color the original map!

59e17b750d866_3.SouvenirMap.thumb.jpg.7e8afca4e5ba8bd0a87856ba33b18280.jpg

Having attempted many miniature drawings myself, I can really appreciate the effort demonstrated here.

59e17b8aaaae6_4.SouvenirMap.thumb.jpg.df83d31cf9e3b7ebcec6cfaa48e7c7d8.jpg

59e17b9ed8662_5.SouvenirMap.thumb.jpg.9956a6a7a43c647f49a7d79e1c998fd0.jpg

59e2edc584d9c_6.SouvenirMap.thumb.jpg.e13ec5c0c64fc33de729fcc34ad5a842.jpg

59e17baa01710_7.SouvenirMap.thumb.jpg.bf84500b050c43fdff3f07b3eca4dedf.jpg

59e1777ac2e03_8.SouvenirMap.thumb.jpg.3f3eec569058024bd87805047ad0f748.jpg

59e17789e02b0_9.SouvenirMap.thumb.jpg.e08258115b17aefdc642c7b3b9ef03dc.jpg

Amazing images!  This is probably a dumb question, but was the map updated for the second year?  It must have been but do you have any comparison images of the 1964 world's fair pavilion which became the Churchill Center in the second year perhaps?

I don't have any comparison material, Jim, but I suspect some other members can supply it.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and the rest of my friends for your acceptance of the last few remaining slides in my collection, as well as the many map close-ups I included in my postings. Recording images of the Fair itself is, of course, no longer possible, but recording of artifacts such as the Official Map can be easily done today by scanning, rather than photographing---and probably with better acuity than using a camera. My only rationale is that my images are almost as ancient as the Fair itself, and it appears that map close-ups have not previously appeared in the Forums. Folks without an original map might benefit most from a closer look at sections of the Fair. I must confess that, after months of cleaning and processing slides, I am wearily fixated on getting it finished. Without the motivation of putting them online, I surely would have put these last map slides away and forgotten them, realizing that I could always look at my original map with a magnifying glass---or even scan it in high-definition technology.

So, thanks again for letting me complete a task I should have done many years ago! 

Speaking of maps, the Official Pop-Up map is pretty cool.  But of course, was designed too early before the final designs settled out.  Things like the monorail and the France arch didn't turn out that way.

__57[1].jpg

By the way, the 1964 and 1965 World's Fair Map that Ralph has been sharing, was a production of the renowned team led by Hermann Bollmann.

Read more about Bollmann here:

https://www.geographicus.com/P/AntiqueMap/NewYorkGuide-bollmann-1963

13 hours ago, Jim said:

Amazing images!  This is probably a dumb question, but was the map updated for the second year?  It must have been but do you have any comparison images of the 1964 world's fair pavilion which became the Churchill Center in the second year perhaps?

Ralph's is a 1965 version with The Pavilion labeled Churchill Center. The one at NYWF64.com is a 1964 version. There was at least one early update, as the version I have on my wall doesn't show Lowenbrau Gardens - just an open space. Lowenbrau appears on the NYWF64.com version and on Ralph's.

Edit: maybe someone who has a map that's not framed can tell us if there's a printing date or number on the other side.  I can't find one on the map side of mine.

Something I forgot: the map I have framed is the "deluxe" "cloth" version, "suitable for framing" which was sold rolled up in a tube. It appears this was an earlier version than the ones sold at the fair, and was never printed in an updated version. The one I have was airmailed from Time Life Books to Grand Rapids, MI, postmarked from Jamaica N.Y., October 27'65, for $0.78.

There were several versions of the map. The one over my desk is like Wayne's no Lowenbrau, but it has the Mississippi River Showboat cruising around Bay Lake. I have others where those both have been changed, and a 1965 one with Churchill Center. I have the deluxe one on cloth in a tube as well for 1964; I don't know if I have seen a 1965 version.

My map has Churchill, so it must be 1965. By the way, I corrected slide no. 6 (Pool of Industry area) to make it less greenish. Must have over-corrected and didn't pay attention to the results. I have 18 more slides to go, and because they are more demanding---and due to a recent strained back---progress will be slower than normal. Any dust spot larger than a hydrogen atom has always been fair game! I suspect half or more of the spots removed would not have been noticed anyway. If you see any spots or hairs in any of my slides, I'd be happy to edit them. I'm sure there are some hanging around, because infrequently I would lose my way moving across a magnified slide and take a wrong turn. Sometimes the blotch was so large I unconsciously thought it part of the scenery! Most of the time I caught these mistakes, but surely not all of them.  

On 10/14/2017 at 10:00 AM, Randy Treadway said:

...By the way, the 1964 and 1965 World's Fair Map that Ralph has been sharing, was a production of the renowned team led by Hermann Bollmann.

Read more about Bollmann here:

https://www.geographicus.com/P/AntiqueMap/NewYorkGuide-bollmann-1963

That's an amazingly over-the-top rhapsody for a map, but it also is informative about the unique techniques of expanding the spaces between buildings so that they don't obscure each other. When you re-examine the map with this in mind, you can see that the horizontal dimensions of the buildings are shrunk compared to the plot they occupy, but it is done so skilfully that it still gives a correct impression.

On 10/14/2017 at 1:52 PM, Bill Cotter said:

There were several versions of the map. The one over my desk is like Wayne's no Lowenbrau, but it has the Mississippi River Showboat cruising around Bay Lake. I have others where those both have been changed, and a 1965 one with Churchill Center. I have the deluxe one on cloth in a tube as well for 1964; I don't know if I have seen a 1965 version.

I wonder if the cloth ones were run on a different press with incompatible plates? The fact that mine was sold in October '65 would indicate that they had not run out of original stock, so had no incentive to reprint. My cloth map also has the Mississippi showboat.