RalphQuinn

By the Numbers

October 9th was a milestone for me; it was the completion of a huge project that actually began in February and became suddenly very important in April, when I became aware of the World's Fair Community. During this time, you might be interested to know, I uploaded 1467 slides and 43 audio files. So is there anything else in my bag that might be of value to you? Perhaps yes. You are aware that I included many pavilion close-ups from the Souvenir Map of the Fair. Well, I have 29 more of a different perspective, from an almost complete view to various regional views involving multiple pavilions. These slides, made about the same year as my return visit to Flushing Meadows Park in 1972, have mostly not yet been de-spotted and ready for upload, but following are a couple of processed examples, including my most comprehensive view and a selected regional view.

59ddadd8bcf73_MostofFair.thumb.jpg.deac60f6a94fce58563921d181063b7d.jpg

59ddae15d6e81_FountainsofFairsArea.thumb.jpg.b7232602f81c84bc0d858532a69200f4.jpg

You will note that the regional view is not just a blow-up of the large view above. Using a Hasselblad C500 camera, I homed in on various parts of the Fair and photographed them with much higher acuity, which accounts for their clarity. Perhaps this is the only undertaking of its kind currently available to the Community.  All of the map pictures were photographed with the idea of using them in a slide show of some sort: full view-then-regional view-then-specific pavilion view. The project never materialized, but today's DVD digital technology offers me an even better opportunity; something to think about for next year. Members who do not possess a copy of the Souvenir Map might find these slides useful. On the other hand, they may be more of interest to me than to the Community, and I don't wish to burden you with yet more maps unless you feel they are important. I'll await your comments.

I have just one last piece of material to offer, and it is probably the most bizarre. During my photographic expeditions I occasionally carried a reel-to-reel tape recorder, as you know by the 43 uploaded audio files. One fine day I thought it might be helpful to just walk through the fairgrounds with my recorder going, for possible background use in a slide show (that concept is still valid today). So I recorded 12 minutes of nothing but the crowd! There might even be some among you who would enjoy simply listening to the crowd as you view various Fair photos. Whatever. But, as with the maps, I would like to assess its interest to the Community before dumping this fairly large file on you. 

That's everything I still have, really (except for my Official Guide, Souvenir Map, and a Fair ticket)!

Ralph, here is my opinion:  During the past few months I have been fighting an increasingly aggressive neurological problem.  Some days have been very difficult for me.  This website has meant a great deal to me since it first began.  I am fascinated by world's fairs, history of all sorts and there are knowledgeable and very considerate people here.  Your photographic and textual contributions have absolutely enriched this site and brightened so many of my days.  I have looked forward to finding your photos and your written comments every day because they are so unique and informative and because they allow me to escape from the difficulties I'm facing.  I often think of your interior photos of the Ireland Pavilion, for example.  They brought back memories of my father who loved that exhibit and who died suddenly just two months after our Fair trip.  So, I am grateful to you beyond any words I can write here. I truly mean this.   Anything you may also wish to share or are able to share would be important to me.  

Also, the twelve minute recording of people in the NYWF crowd is true history.  Such a recording is an incredible unfiltered, uncensored primary source of information.  It's just the sort of find any historian would treasure.

I am so glad you found this site and I extend my most sincere gratitude to you, Ralph.  Please keep posting. 

Jim

3 hours ago, SpaceAgeGuy said:

I concur with Jim. And, I seem to have missed that there were any audio recordings you made. Where are they located?

The audio files are usually (but not always) located at the end of a post, and are mp3 files. Typically I added a note in my text announcing that an AUDIO file is present (I usually capitalized the word to help call attention to it). For example; in the Transportation Area there are 6 files: Auto Thrill Show, Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Lowenbrau Gardens, and Sinclair. I hope this helps. If needed I can identify all 43 of the posts with mp3 audio files. 

Thanks Jim and Space Age Guy, for your responses. I needed a little push because I couldn't ascertain from previous replies whether the individual pavilion map pictures I included were relevant enough. I'm honored by the Community's reaction to my collection in general, and will shortly send the AUDIO file and process and post the maps. 

Ralph, thanks for posting the numbers - I discovered I missed 5 audio files!

Ralph,

There is a clickable version of the 1964 map at NYWF64.com

http://www.nywf64.com/maps01.shtml

You might want to check it out in case it duplicates the work you were planning, and you could save the effort.

Thanks, Wayne for providing this alternative approach. The map is impressive, and it covers more territory than my largest map. The clicking process is also impressive, since it seems to replace the need for a Guide Book. I noticed that there are a couple of vertical displacements in the image, perhaps a temporary glitch of some kind. To test picture quality differences, though, I blew up a small section of the large map to compare with a camera-enlarged view of roughly the same size.

59deed9027814_Blow-UpEnlarged.thumb.jpg.d44198d5d8bac2d71ee5c3d224941da6.jpg

Camera-Enlarged.thumb.jpg.021f0eb67d2d30887f9c6dcf5e23d80e.jpg This is what I meant in suggesting that my camera-lens enlargements might be different and therefore useful to someone. These are all individually photographed images, which by their nature would be sharper than a digital blow-up of a large area original. Photos #1 and #2 at the top of this posting are totally different pictures, each imaged by the same camera but at different distances from the original map. (My original pool slide covers a little more territory, so I blew it up slightly to more-or-less match the size of the two examples, which makes it slightly less sharp than it normally is.) It appears that our maps are not exactly alike. Notice the position of the titles near the Equitable Life Assurance Society pavilion. I presume there was a modification in a subsequent printing. 

If there are other pictures of this magnification with similar definition available to the Community, I certainly don't want to duplicate them. I really appreciate you---and any others---putting this project to the test before launching it.

By the way, Wayne, if you (or anyone else) would like a complete listing of the 43 audio files, I'll be happy to supply it.

I have that map hanging above my desk, but I would think folks would enjoy nice scans/photos of it to help orientate themselves.