Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Remember the Gyrotron?

There was a good deal of hype about the Gyrotron.  I lived in Syracuse in 1966 and 1967 and often saw newspaper ads for bus trips to Expo and all sorts of ads for various pavilions and events at Expo.  CNY was a big target market for Americans to visit Montreal.  One  ad for the Gyrotron showed some sort of metal monster inside of the pyramid structure and it looked like a giant spider.  The huge caption read :  "It Will Gobble You."  Big deal.  I never went near Gyrotron and only saw it from a distance.  I don't think it attracted the attention or won the imagination of many Expo visitors.

Actually, Jim, even if it was a big letdown for a lot of visitors, the Gyrotron was the most popular ride at La Ronde both for the 1967 and 1968 seasons... But one of the reason that it was a let down was that  only 50% of the ride was built. The high cost of the final project was way overbudget so they asked Kean Senny, the designer of the ride, to cut half of it. The original plan was to continue the ride after the volcano drop into a third section that would have been a contribution to the Man and His World theme an then to go underwater in Dolphin Lake. here is a basic plan of what the original ride would have looked like:

59da3ae264792_248crop.thumb.jpg.df9c39b1df30fc8e55ae4c8f9eb95a22.jpg

59da3af19ca19_252f.thumb.jpg.df35bb1972d5da830aef48077b8c4ac2.jpg

Roger, I had no idea.  Who sponsored the ride?  Was it Expo, itself, which financed Gyrotron or was it a private sponsor?  Also, when was Gyrotron dismantled and why?  Did it lose popularity over time?