RalphQuinn

Flushing Meadows 1972 #4

59d56f73162d7_401_Ct_Pres.U.S.twdHallofSci.(LeftofUnisphere).thumb.jpg.412d1bdf2f05d88c131127b86c9dd9df.jpg

The Unisphere was so ubiquitous that it tended to show up in a large percentage of photos from almost anywhere in the park. Here are some examples. Unlike my regular Fair photos, I have resisted the urge to clean up trash and fix rust spots, in order to best display the lack of proper maintenance prevalent in the early seventies. This image was taken from the Court of Presidents, in the general direction of the distant Hall of Science, behind that statue of George Washington.

59d56f7ed6aad_402.RevisitCourtofStates.thumb.jpg.5ec13cd0098ecd4ff543548a14ece0da.jpg

This view is along the Court of States. It was a great temptation to eliminate the scrawny, leafless limb in the foreground. But we must tell it like it was, warts and all!

59d56f8adeaba_403.CourtofPres_ofU.S..thumb.jpg.d0e51c4af30af107ab0bf5db38bb61a8.jpg

A great place for kids to have fun, with its phenomenal background. Taken from the Court of the President of the United States.

59d56f9a84743_404.NearCt.ofNations(atU.N.South.thumb.jpg.53d137958073fe83e40ed67a170a0038.jpg

The original Fair seats were conveniently placed for contemplation or just watching the action. Taken near the Court of Nations at United Nations South.

59d56fa68f543_405.JustAcrossfromN.E.States.thumb.jpg.a1e6184cf0ba233563183b6b159f4048.jpg

Getting closer. Taken from the New England States pavilion.

59d56fb321a26_406.FromCourtofStates.thumb.jpg.b8a2af1ac3990d0519ad1b1467e3bf17.jpg

From further along the Court of States.

59d56fbf3a17c_407.Revisit1972.thumb.jpg.d48d84b5803cdc7920a15f2d7857757e.jpg

Good ol' NY State was another ubiquitous object in photos. Looked like the elevator was in operation.

59d56fd276e1a_408.PoolofTri-Cent.(infrontNYCPav.).thumb.jpg.18595113de78f544028c4474027ecc84.jpg

Unisphere's next door neighbor, the Pool of the Tri-Centennial, a zodiac globe representing the vast universe beyond the Earth itself. The only water in the pool itself, like most of the others, was left-over rain water. Here it failed to cover up trash tossed in by unconcerned visitors.

59d56fe7a3e8a_409.Revisit1972.thumb.jpg.b3564196afcedf549286bce81b0d7e87.jpg

The Unishpere was a popular place for teenagers to hang out. The little signage to their left says "No Bathing or Wading." It would be difficult to do either without water in the Fountain of the Continents.

59d56ff430970_410.UnisphereFtn.ofContinents1.thumb.jpg.2517160f5bdbe7fe4f59a427ef64c610.jpg

Ignoring the Trash, Fido was caught as he jumped up to see what his fellow canines were looking at. If he wanted a drink of water he was mostly out of luck.

59d56ffee7796_411.UnisphereFtn.ofContinents2.thumb.jpg.6e2108c803c2e8264f5b0073a94cd541.jpg

Well, I wasn't wading, but standing dry-shod in the fountain to get a view of the front of the New York City building. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but feel a little unsettled with the leviathan Unisphere looming over my head. It was an experience to stand in a spot denied regular fair-goers, who would have been drenched and quickly the attention of the crowd and the officials! I did, however, attract the notice of the couple seated under the tree, who perhaps thought that guy in a business suit and professional-looking camera was Ansel Adams, who wandered in from California, or Hugh Hefner, waiting for the models to show up!

The place really did look run down and worn out by 1972.  Thank you again for sharing your photos, Ralph.  That spot where the larger dog is peeking over the wall of the basin is just about where I stood on a September evening in 1965 when finally got to stand close to the Unisphere.  It must be the age of the photos and the deterioration of the color but I don't recall the Unisphere tripod being quite so blue.

That strange booth near the NYC building is in an entirely different location in a 1971 photo that Bill posted in 2016.

That first photo has me confused. For some reason I didn't get a close-up of George Washington in 1972, and I am assuming it is him based on a photo in Google Earth and my pic from the Fair. However, if I took a picture of the Unisphere today with George in view, I would be looking toward the south end of the Transportation Area, not the north, where the Hall of Science is located. Did they relocate George since then? Or did I mis-identify the Hall of Science? In my pic he also appears to be closer to the Unisphere than the Google panorama would suggest.

Jim, perhaps you could compare the Unisphere base color with photos by other members. The only image in my Unisphere posting (State & Federal Area) that shows the base in daylight (pic #3), appears to be pretty blue also. I used Ektachrome 120 film for all my Fair-related pictures, which might enhance blue--I'm not sure. 

11 hours ago, RalphQuinn said:

That first photo has me confused. For some reason I didn't get a close-up of George Washington in 1972, and I am assuming it is him based on a photo in Google Earth and my pic from the Fair. However, if I took a picture of the Unisphere today with George in view, I would be looking toward the south end of the Transportation Area, not the north, where the Hall of Science is located. Did they relocate George since then? Or did I mis-identify the Hall of Science? In my pic he also appears to be closer to the Unisphere than the Google panorama would suggest.

Looking at Google Earth with 3D buildings enabled and without, it appears that GW in your photo was in the same place as today - the Lunar Fountain - and that you took this from the Avenue of Commerce at approximately the Churchill Center. This is verified by the configuration of the walkways and especially the view of Africa on the Unisphere. What is behind GW is hard to say. It seems it could be the Queens theater or a tall building beyond the GCP

You're right, Ralph.  The tripod really is quite blue.  My memory is playing tricks on me.  It may also be the fact that there is no water in the pool and the fountains are off.  In any event, I enjoy all of your photos very much.