Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Man, oh Man oh Man

Another great shot.  I remember standing next to "Man" in 1967 and struggling a bit to fully understand it.

Actually, the real name - the one the artist gave to his sculpture - is Three Disks... it's easier to understand is work when you now the real name. Pierre Dupuy is the one who named it "Man", with the artist's consent of course, to make it more relevant to the "Man and His World" theme

Well, Calder's work is often a challenge for me, but with Roger's explanation, I don't feel quite so dumb.  Roger, when was this relocated to its present spot on Ile Sainte-Helene?  

21 hours ago, Roger said:

Actually, the real name - the one the artist gave to his sculpture - is Three Disks... it's easier to understand is work when you now the real name. Pierre Dupuy is the one who named it "Man", with the artist's consent of course, to make it more relevant to the "Man and His World" theme

Yes, I figured I would go with what seems to be the more common use, but you are right again (of course!)

Besides, "Three Disks, oh Three Disks, oh Three Disks" wouldn't make for a good topic title. ;)

• Like 1

For Jim, it was relocated in 1992, for the 25th of Expo when Ile St. Helen's was rehabilitaded (turned into a parc) and the site once again available for citizens and visitors