Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

There for just a few months

Does anyone know what the woman is selling in the stand with the red umbrella?

And what is the strange red box plugged in near the back of the stand?  (can we get a closeup?)

Looks like she is selling pre-packaged snacks. The red box looks like a pie box; it's not plugged in, but there is a cord draped around it that runs along the wall to the right. Looks like an extension cord not in use just that moment. It does look plugged in at this size, but the cord is actually just dangling off the counter.

I wonder what those snacks were.

Regarding the cord, if that's the case, it's one heck of a long extension cord.   It runs from the stand, behind the red box, to the wall, and behind the people along the wall, and beyond.

Yup, looks like a heavy duty extension cord, the kind with just one outlet on the end and some heavy gauge wire. They might have had some sort of heating element at the stand that wasn't plugged in that moment.

It's a large format slide but I can't make out details as to the words on the counter.

Maybe it's just a radio.  Many photos suggest there was often plenty of down time when daily attendance was low.

I think it's more likely that there was a heater in that stand for the items in the glass case, or maybe the white box is a fridge.  That's the power cord exiting the box, not a plug, and it's draped over the top to lead back to the wall.

Well, whatever it might be, considering that there is a canal behind the stand and the entire thing is exposed to the elements, I suspect some sort of protective cord would be needed if that's what it is.  I know I'd want one.  It was 1964.  The product safety codes fifty-five years ago were pretty lax.  I remember my father messing with a power cord the thickness of a garden hose to light up a front yard tree at Christmas time over fifty years ago.  I'll bet that cord was thirty years old at that time. 

Or...maybe that was the detonator for the long discussed impending implosion of the Belgian Village at the close of the Fair.  All she needed was a signal from her boss.

No cash register?