Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Another angle on the Katimavik

The Katimavik on May 23, 1967. I thought this angle shows how magnificent a job the engineers did with supporting that giant mass on such a small base.

katimavik-may-23.jpg

• Like 1

What a great photograph.  I still feel so fortunate that I had the chance to see that remarkable pavilion and stand along the top ridge where those other lucky people are standing.  Bill, on April 28, CBC had a story about four Canadians who designed the Katimavik and found their inspiration in an upside down ashtray.

I envy you all who got a chance to go...I wish I had.  Love the design and concept of this pavilion but sad that the white pavilion roof surfacing of the pyramids got so dirty during the course of the expo.   Looked awful.  Was there that much air pollution in Montreal back then?

I would bet that every North American city had a good deal of air pollution in the 1960s.  

On ‎07‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, Bill Cotter said:

The Katimavik on May 23, 1967. I thought this angle shows how magnificent a job the engineers did with supporting that giant mass on such a small base.

katimavik-may-23.jpg

When you think of it, there is not much there...it was all empty...except for super structure and the weight of the visitors...and those weird theme sculptures.

I also remember being a bit disappointed when I got to the inside/top of Katimavik... I really didn't understand the sculptures at all (then again, I was 15 at the time).

The photo is post Expo and all of those structures, no matter how wonderful they were, were designed to be temporary.  The  Montreal flag replacing the Union Jack on the Great Britain pavilion suggests at least 1968 or beyond.