RalphQuinn

Postcard from Vienna

Austria's unique design as an Alpine chalet gave it a new life as a real ski lodge. Sadly, it was destroyed by fire, about 2005.

1.Austria.thumb.jpg.2d40f924ed36b9c34bb56973c0c03ec4.jpg

2.Austria.thumb.jpg.6de9c13084136ecc9bf906b36be0d882.jpg

3.Austria.thumb.jpg.eb71ab454f140937b80ed12a7caee718.jpg

4.Austria.thumb.jpg.f98c4b9c414dfee27168eff962e116a0.jpg

5.Austria.thumb.jpg.b5ed4feb70e496ae73099e8105a27ae0.jpg

6.Austria.thumb.jpg.f702466e3bf945aef95ae87c6e3e235b.jpg

Cockaigne Ski Resort in Chautauqua County in far western New York opened in 1966 and the purchase of the Austrian Pavilion gave them their ski lodge.  That lodge burned in 2011 and the resort closed shortly thereafter.  Evidently, there is a good chance the resort has new owners and will reopen for the 2017-18 season.  They will never be quite able to recreate the ambience that Austrian Pavilion provided for decades, however.  It was a much loved local landmark. 

That would certainly be a plus for the local economy if they can re-open. Good news. And great pictures, Ralph.

Thanks for the correction on the date, Jim. I should have looked it up instead of trusting to memory. The tragic loss of a surviving pavilion touched my heart more than those that succumbed to the wrecker's ball at fair's end. Sort of like rescuing victims from an earthquake only to lose them later to another calamity.

I miss my memory Ralph!  I realize that time is blurring for me and it is amazing how fast it goes.  As for the Austrian Pavilion:  from what I've read and heard on Buffalo news outlets, there was a real sense of loss among the large group of people who skied at Cockaigne and knew the history of that lodge.  The owners took great care of it for nearly fifty years and most news sources referred to it as "the Austrian pavilion."   So, in some ways, it had a respectful ending.

Allow me to add that I, too, am greatly enjoying the photos you have been posting.  You may have the last remaining images of what many of the Fair pavilions looked like on the inside.

Jim, your gracious comments, along with others, have made me realize that my collection is more of interest than I ever supposed. I am pleased to tell you that there are over 30 pavilions yet to come that contain at least one interior picture. All require individual attention, which limits the speed with which they can be uploaded (especially during my busy summer), but it won't be for lack of determination. I hope everyone finds at least one missing item from their wish list.

1 hour ago, RalphQuinn said:

Jim, your gracious comments, along with others, have made me realize that my collection is more of interest than I ever supposed. I am pleased to tell you that there are over 30 pavilions yet to come that contain at least one interior picture. All require individual attention, which limits the speed with which they can be uploaded (especially during my busy summer), but it won't be for lack of determination. I hope everyone finds at least one missing item from their wish list.

Any of the Macy's house? That was only there in 1964. In 1965 it was a USO lounge.

1 hour ago, Bill Cotter said:

Any of the Macy's house? That was only there in 1964. In 1965 it was a USO lounge.

Sorry, Bill, I missed that one entirely.