Sign in to follow this  
waynebretl

Question about Thailand and Belgium

How much of the Thailand pavilion was newly constructed, and how much, if any, was saved from fair to fair and reassembled?

Belgium, although a repeat fair exhibitor, apparently was constructed completely new - note the opening delay.

I do know that the Thailand pavilion was shipped off in its entirety to Expo 67. What happened to it after that is any ones guess.

The main part of the pavilion, which resembled a Buddhist shrine, was transported from NYC to Montreal.  There were additions in Montreal, however, including a second and larger structure the interior of which was "a tribute to modern Thailand," according to the Expo guide book.  Also, in an adjacent pool, there was a replica of a royal barge which was added for Expo 67.

Thailand was a new pavilion built for the 64 Fair and was barely finished by opening day. I have pictures just a few days before that and there were men all over the roof working on the gold leaf.

After the Fair closed in 1965 it was sent to Montreal and enlarged as noted. Here's the expanded side building and the royal barge:

thailand.jpg

When Expo 67 closed the pavilion reopened in 1968 as part of "Man and His World." It was also there in 1969 and 1970. In 1971 the building was used for an exhibit called "Treasures of the Deep", which I believe was about gold, etc. found in shipwrecks. It was gone by 1972. I read one report saying it was to have been shipped back to Thailand but never found confirmation on that actually happening, or if it was demolished.

Thanks, everyone!