RalphQuinn

Westinghouse: Time Flies

14 posts in this topic

Did everyone get your name in the time capsule? Immortality, for a while at least.

The attached AUDIO file (6:47) features (1) yours truly describing contents of the 1965 capsule, (2) Ms. Jean Joyce describing contents of the 1938 capsule, and (3) Jean graciously allowing me to interview her, in which she talks about what is included in the rest of the pavilion.

1.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.b464b2d4d4c41482854fd1fe0d310c36.jpg

2.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.f13b17be16efd7b45067557de4b66a83.jpg

3.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.e894e0f42aedd61e06f92b79a413e5c7.jpg

4.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.11747f0c009a3f3b4e4912081a94ff1e.jpg

Docent Jean Joyce lists the contents of the 1938 capsule.

5.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.1ab2b6532cbaefb0c3c15cf59ed73692.jpg

I certainly remember the slide-rule (at the bottom), which was my constant companion in the Navy electronics school.

6.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.d16f0c61c359136c40e44c1ddc3eb48f.jpg

Jean is now dressed in her fall uniform.

7.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.4d7f9d1cecd054472f6523fddb1f8448.jpg

Yep, that's a real bikini. Sorry, no yellow polka-dots.

8.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.4d00593566bb822851eac0c1f42a04e9.jpg

9.Westinghouse.jpg

10.Westinghouse.jpg

11.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.1a28c12cf337ac6d9f68c77cfdda77cd.jpg

12.Westinghouse.thumb.jpg.b2b19cff6b109d92976848c284f7cd56.jpg

Westinghouse.mp3

I guess I didn't realize that massive granite memorial existed in the pavilion during the course of the Fair.  I still wonder whatever became of the marker placed there after the close of the 1940 Fair.

That marker is actually over the 1939-40 capsule. The original marker has been lost.

I was wondering what happened to the original marker.

13532917_10154292731533684_7440044426974896543_n.jpg

That's a great photo of the original 1938 marker and it is evidence that it stood until 1963 or so.  It's remarkable that something like that simply went missing.  Without having actually seen it, it appears the column is marble and the base may be granite.  It's not easy to tell from the photo.  In any event, that marker was extremely heavy and not easily removed or discarded.  Perhaps it simply became landfill, possibly right on the Westinghouse site.  And it's also possible it's mounting a bird bath in somebody's backyard.

I hope they included some film for that Polaroid Land camera.

On 6/3/2017 at 10:31 PM, expoboy said:

I hope they included some film for that Polaroid Land camera.

I hope not. It would probably have oozed out and destroyed everything it came into contact with.

On 6/3/2017 at 8:30 PM, Jim said:

That's a great photo of the original 1938 marker and it is evidence that it stood until 1963 or so.  It's remarkable that something like that simply went missing.  Without having actually seen it, it appears the column is marble and the base may be granite.  It's not easy to tell from the photo.  In any event, that marker was extremely heavy and not easily removed or discarded.  Perhaps it simply became landfill, possibly right on the Westinghouse site.  And it's also possible it's mounting a bird bath in somebody's backyard.

At one point it was said to be in a storage yard at a city facility where they also had pieces salvaged from old buildings, damaged statues, etc. Unfortunately I don't think there were any real details. It's hard to imagine it just got tossed into the trash, given the size and weight!

Bill, didn't people locate the massive marble eagles that once graced the exterior of Pennsylvania Station in a landfill in northern Jersey?  There would be no difficulty in dumping that 1938 marker into a landfill just about anywhere.  

I could be wrong but I don't have a sense that there was any true reverance for the 1939 Fair or what very little remained at Flushing Meadow when the second fair was under construction.  There was a deadline to meet and that marker was in the way.

The New Jersey Meadowlands did become the site for a large amount of Penn Station landfill though the eagles actually pretty much survived and were dispersed to a number of other locations (one still remains outside the original site at Madison Square Garden). 

As I recall the story the city held on to the marker knowing it had some significance. As time passed, though, who knows what the next generation of workers thought about it?

Word has it that it's being stored in the Underground Home just waiting for someone to dig it up....just kidding!

1 hour ago, Craig Bavaro said:

Word has it that it's being stored in the Underground Home just waiting for someone to dig it up....just kidding!

And I thought it was buried in Forest Park in St. Louis along with the central spindle of the Ferris wheel!

Posted (edited)

See this thread for a very cryptic clue from August 9 2008: http://www.worldsfaircommunity.
org/topic/7581-original-time-capsule-marker/?hl=%2Boriginal+%2Bmarker:

Said clue read as follows:

oldschool39 said:
it is at a mable factory in viginia and not for sale jr39

Edited by RogerMacB
correcting typo

Now that you posted this Roger, I vaguely remember that comment from 2008. Next time I go to the New York Public Library to continue my research in the Fair Corporation files, I will be sure to have them pull the exhibitor, construction and engineering files for Westinghouse and see if there is a clue in there as to what happened to the original marker. Especially since the marker could not have been removed from the site without the Fair Corporations permission.