RalphQuinn

Touring the American Interiors Pavilion

This pavilion had some lovely room displays, as well as exhibits of decorative items. I was pleased to watch an artist carve a wooden wall hanging that was very popular in those days.

1.American Interiors.jpg

2.American Interiors.jpg

3.Pink Bedroom.jpg

4.Fancy Bedroom.jpg

5.Charming Lamps.jpg

6.Dining Spot.jpg

7.Relaxing Areajpg.jpg

8.Living Room.jpg

9.Den.jpg

10.International Silver Exhibit.jpg

This is an exhibit by International Silver. I was surprised to see my own portrait in the mirror!

11.Expensive Knick-knacks.jpg

12.Metal Wall Hangings.jpg

13.Carving a Wall-Hanging.jpg

Artist at work.

14.Finished Example.jpg

Example of a finished wall hanging.

• Like 4

Thanks again for bringing us a brand new look at a pavilion for which not much documentation exists in terms of interior (ironic!) pictures.     Again, these kind of pictures for someone like me who was born too late for the Fair and who has come to learn about it and love it from this forum, Bill's site and the many pictures that have been shared before, gives a more up-close view of what the experience was like for one of these lesser-known (and sadly not heavily-visited) pavilions.

Picture 6, feels like a bank from the early 80s.

Picture 7, feels like an interior that could be current these days.  The style feels light and clean and homey, (maybe it) could use a less heavy of a floral pattern.

Pictures 8 and 9, really aged.

2 hours ago, icedstitch said:

Picture 7, feels like an interior that could be current these days.  The style feels light and clean and homey, (maybe it) could use a less heavy of a floral pattern.

Busy bold patterns were in - at least it's not the boomerang/amoeba pattern that was so popular mid-century.

Great photos! It's interesting to see furnishings that would have been considered "chic" in the 1960's, but would most likely be considered "horrific" by many interior designers today  :lol:

These photos remind me of the rooms in the bomb shelter in the movie, "Blast From The Past."

I'm so glad that a photographer took the time to document this pavilion. 

I'm confused by the blue room.  Did they just install that wall mirror to make the exhibit look bigger, or did some designer really expect someone to put a bed next to a giant mirror?

On 8/21/2019 at 8:17 PM, speedwell said:

I'm confused by the blue room.  Did they just install that wall mirror to make the exhibit look bigger, or did some designer really expect someone to put a bed next to a giant mirror?

Good question!