Bill Cotter

Step inside and see how hot dogs are made!

The great Prussian chancellor, Otto von Bismarck, once said that "laws are like sausages; its best not to see them being made."  And the making of hot dogs would be just as unpleasant to observe, I suspect--even at the great 1939 NYWF.

Hello Folks,

In 1939 this thing was silver - redwood or two tone in 1940. People are always asking me what it was supposed to look like - a hot dog is often mentioned. Now the Guidebook says it was to resemble a "gleaming superliner" - so, hot dog or train? Or plane?

Hello again,

As I recalled but could not remember why - it was to be a plane. One look at an aerial - wings. From under those "wings" came this - a seldom seen view from "inside" Swift of the Hall of Industrial Science. The red column is a good clue. Red=Food. I think I got the colors fairly correct - the grey-blue and yellow. More or less anyway. This is an original 8" x 10" Kodachrome transparency. It is also a miraculous composition - very prescient. Among my best images.

Hall of Industrial Science from Swift 1939.18.jpg

7 minutes ago, Randy Treadway said:

Giant hotdog.

Screen_Shot_2017-05-16_at_12.36_.53_PM_[1].png

Hi Randy, what year is that? Season 2? The color indicated 1940 when  the description "hot dog" was more "accessible" - less "highbrow".

I don't have a guidebook handy, and I'm not sure it is in there or another source, but it was called a "gleaming superliner" and also there was mention of "wings" and that is took a little imagination. I will look at some aerials because I can't recall to my satisfaction what this looked like in both years. 

Hello,

I am seeing references here from me over the years about this being a plane - it must be in some text I can't recall. I'd bet on it.

I seems to have it backward - redwood in '39 and "silver" in '40. 

Hello,

Page 75, Putting Meat on the American Table by Roger Horowitz. 

Link to Horowitz Page 75

From http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/swift_pavilion_1939_worlds_fair

Say, just which was is this thing facing? if you look at it "backwards" or "rear-on" as in Randy's 1939 postcard (which I have never seen) it indeed looks like a modern plane with raked wings. It might be facing Schaeffer? That would make perfect sense - it was a more "local" point of interest.