Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xl5er

US Modernist Architectural Archive

4 posts in this topic

A podcast I was listening to played a commercial for the internet radio programs and podcasts of US Modernist.com. Sounded interesting so I checked it out.

Here's how they put it...

"US Modernist Radio is "Car Talk" for Modernist architecture!

Listen as the US Modernist Radio crew talk and laugh with fascinating people who own, sell, create, love, and hate Modernist architecture, the most controversial houses and buildings in the world with guests including Kelly Lynch, Michael Miner, Liz Wayktus, Craig Dykers, Paul Goldberger, Susan Saarinen, Eames Demetrios, Raymond Neutra, and more."

There is MUCH more than iTunes audio. 

The site archives digitized architecture magazines from at least 1945. Also, prominent architects' residential works are detailed in galleries of explanatory text and photographs.

Seems one goal of the site is to catalog the locations of extant Modernist homes and foster appreciation of the design movement.

http://www.ncmodernist.org/usmodernist.htm

1 person likes this

Thanks for the link; I'm already hooked!

don't.. have...time... must... not... click... again...

Boy you can both say that again!

One consolation, at least in the section on FLW's Fallingwater, is the photos are distorted thumbnails that cannot be clicked to enlarge. So while the site has lots of one stop information, one must still visit other sources. As Joe E Brown said to Jack Lemmon, "Nobody's perfect."

I find myself overwhelmed by the deluge of information out there, even without cat  vs. cucumber videos. But I will not complain because it could be worse and I could break my glasses like Burgess Meredith in a Twilight Zone.

Stumbled on an interesting essay on the site in the January 1945 issue of Arts and Architecture before an article on Piet Mondrian. The editor expresses surprising skepticism about the justification for hostilities of WWII, and also the post-conflict conduct of the US and allies. Reads like something written in the present day by self loathers with black armband views.

Easy to forget that the period was hardly one of political unanimity as white blindfold Hollywood leads us to believe.