Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Cotter

One of the lesser photographed spots at Expo

8 posts in this topic

A bathroom at Habitat 67

habitat-bathroom.jpg

Commode mounted on wall, minimal seam modular fiberglass panel shower, walls and even sink. Combined hot and cold faucet. Recessed lighting. Is that a solid piece molded counter and wash basin?

That really was ahead of its time. Might be fair to say Habitat continued on not in housing so much as in Motel 6 and other quick build econo living spaces. 

Does anyone know how Habitat is doing financially now? I assume it is solvent. (Their website offers rentals and purchase but I saw no prices.)

Are prices aligned with local valuations? Island location is unique of course but are the ballyhooed 1967 living spaces themselves considered desirable 50 years later; did they at all live up to their promise as, what was their promise again? Was it modular construction? Floorplan variey?

Also, core services like elevators and fire stairs: how do you exit a smoke filled maze like that, or is it simple on the inside?

Always assumed the name Habitat was some reductionist nod to future lifestyles where offices would be called "Work," like writing Big Brown Bag on big brown bags, but now wonder if it wasn't a sly Canuck reference to "les habitants" of New France. Maybe the architects were Canadiens fans, eh?

Knew I should've gotten a WSJ subscription. Link behind a paywall. No prob. Can read dead tree at library. 

Thanks Bill.

As a Stooge would say, Quite a coinkydink.

Another of the lesser photographed parts of Expo - the parking garage at Habitat.

habitat-garage.jpg

The plot sickens.

Print edition of WSJ did not have article. Kismet walked in and on page A10 was a review of a Jane Jacobs documentary film: Citizen Jane: Battle for the City. PTUers will smile at the quote at the end of the short piece, "China is (Robert) Moses on steroids."

And the happy ending is...I noticed the 4pm time stamp on the Habitat piece and figured maybe it appears in the following day's print edition. 22 April  

And so it did.

After reading the article I'm even more curious about that structure. The architect's son was Habitat's paperboy and developed his throwing arm by virtue of the 12-story building's elevator only stopping on floors 1-2-5-6-9-10. How did that work out?

Habitat was envisioned as affordable, middle class housing and a new way to make apartment living unique.  Today, there is a waiting list to get living space and one of the most exclusive addresses in Montreal.