Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
worldsfairent

The Underground Home: Has the Legend Finally Been Buried Once and For All?

8 posts in this topic

I still want to believe

1 person likes this

The last part of the story is believable.  The idea that it was removed down to its actual concrete foundation and then filled in from that point makes sense.  It's possible that demolition debris may have also been used to fill the hole.  Beyond that, any idea that the home somehow still exists buried like a Roman villa in Pompeii with preserved artifacts, is fantasy.  If anything is still there it has to just be the basic concrete foundation on which it was built.

1 person likes this

Thanks Trey!

Cannot believe the CSI episode was 2009!! Seems like yesterday. Was not aware your production company name was WF! Will look for it. 

1 person likes this

FWIW,

Underground homes have not completely gone away. Here in hurricane alley there are several bldgs that both take advantage of the insulating aspect of soil as well as its resistance to wind and either burrow partway into the ground or pile dirt on top to protect from the tropical sun and heat. NOAA's new National Hurricane Center looks like a semi buried rocket launch bunker w mininmal windows peeking out to see if the coast is clear.

Anyone lucky enough to see southern California's Anza Borrego State Park Visitor Center steps in through the open north side with the rest of the building covered with sand and a collection of native desert plants adorning the roof  

Beyond commercial applications, I occasionally but consistently read about the eccentric architect snuggling a custom home against a hunk of geology to varying degrees.

Then of course there are the hard cores who purchased and renovated defunct ICBM silos, and the wealthy James Bond villain wannabes who feel things may get so bad they build luxury underground lairs as a back up. 

http://io9.gizmodo.com/look-beneath-the-surface-of-these-incredible-undergroun-1269686668

I've always seen the Las Vegas Underground Home and this Underground Home as a roomy, peaceful, serene abode.  Something draws me to it.

I'm sure being there is much different, like smell control, water control, etc. That aside would like to experience this once.  The chances of that happening are like me landing on the moon within my lifetime.

One thing it gets away from are your neighbors and the sense of community, so it definitely would feel like a vacation home and would drive me nuts not being able to interact with my neighborhood.  I would prefer to step out and socialize, instead of climbing up a set of stairs and work to meet my neighbors.

A cabin in the Adirondacks makes a great vacation spot but, to me, an underground home is creepy.  Everything is fake and the isolation would drive me over the edge.  I figure I will be spending a good deal of time  underground, at some point, and I'm hesitant to rush that event--formica countertops and color tv notwithstanding.

13 hours ago, Jim said:

A cabin in the Adirondacks makes a great vacation spot but, to me, an underground home is creepy.  Everything is fake and the isolation would drive me over the edge.  I figure I will be spending a good deal of time  underground, at some point, and I'm hesitant to rush that event--formica countertops and color tv notwithstanding.

Well said!