When the Fair opened the folks at IBM found they had made a small error in the pavilion design. At night the IBM lettering around the "egg" couldn't easily be seen, diminishing the advertising value. Scaffolding quickly went up so some of the letters could be removed and replaced with new ones that lit up from inside. Here's a view showing the work underway in July 1964.

ibm-july-64-1.jpg

ibm-july-64-2.jpg

Bill, I just found this thread.  This is a remarkable discovery.  I had no idea this change took place.  Most interesting.

Thank you for that link.  I can only imagine the amount of research that went into comparing 1964 and 1965 photos.

Bill's 'differences between years' list was gradually built over the last 20 years, and we still add to it frequently as we observe things in photos.  For instance, the fountain at the Coca Cola Pavilion just a few weeks ago.

As Randy says it's always a work in progress. I still need to add entries for Lowenbrau and the House of Good Taste.

Bill, what might the so-called world's fair pavilion been used for had Sir Winton Churchill not died in January of 1965?  Was this its intended purpose regardless or was it an idea resulting from Churchill's death?  

A big part-time tenant in 1964 was the U.S. Olympic Committee, which put on Olympic Trials qualifying competitions in several sports, like weightlifting.

The dome was also used on Sunday mornings in 1964 for church services for Fair staff and anybody else who wanted to attend.